Call Quality... So what now?

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
NewAtOoma
Call Quality... So what now?

Post by NewAtOoma » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:23 pm

Hi, everyone.

Tom was kind enough to move me to the East coast server and adjust my QOS settings. But I'm still having trouble with incoming sound quality. It generally does okay, but it has moments of garbled digitized sounds. Does anyone have any other suggestions of how I can improve this?

Here are my specifics:
ooma is plugged directly into my modem. Then my wifi router is plugged into the ooma's Home port.
My most recent internet speed test results are: 3.55Mbps/1.22Mbps, 2.39ms Jitter, 0% Packet Loss.
I am using a single Panasonic DECT cordless phone. It is connected directly to the ooma.
I have DECT disabled in the ooma setup.

Thanks!
Last edited by NewAtOoma on Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Re: Call Quality... So what now?

Post by Tom » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:48 am

Most likely can be attributed to intermittent congestion on your broadband connection.
Nothing more we can do on our end.

NewAtOoma

Post by NewAtOoma » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:35 pm

Thanks, TomB. Customer service seems to disagree. I called them today. I'll make a separate post about that.

Fishface

Post by Fishface » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:37 am

Unfortunately, I have found customer service to be essentially worthless. They have just tried to temporize me, and seem focused on getting me to say that I was very satisfied with their responses. Also, I've told them that I did not care to go to Premier or Security service until I was more confident in the quality of their basic servce.

NewAtOoma

Post by NewAtOoma » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:56 am

Fishface, in my case, it remains to be seen whether or not whatever customer service did will be beneficial, but I agree that their insistence in selling me some security equipment is rather sickening. It makes them feel like scam artists. As a paying customer, I shouldn't have to say no more than once per call as they try to upsell me.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:37 am

When you say "incoming sound quality" you mean your end of the conversation or does it only happen on inbound calls?

Try again now. You had the G.711 codec enabled which consumes more bandwidth.

I guess the upsell to Basic customers is more aggressive because these customers are not on a subscription service but do pay regulatory fees and taxes. I've forwarded your feedback to management.

NewAtOoma

Post by NewAtOoma » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:53 am

Thank you, Tom B.

When I say "incoming sound quality" I mean the sound of the person on the other end of the phone call. So if I call my mother, or if she calls me, either way, we'll have moments where her voice is robotic or cutting out. She can hear me fine, usually, but I hear problems in her voice. And my mother is just an example. This goes for any call to our ooma or from our ooma.

Thanks for disabling the G.711 codec. Maybe that was our problem. I believe we've got some phone calls to make tomorrow. We'll see if all is well, and I'll report back here.

Thanks again!

NewAtOoma

Post by NewAtOoma » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:06 am

And Tom, where can I change the G.711 setting if I want to experiment with that? Is that a user-defined option, or is done behind the scenes by customer service?

Thanks.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:23 pm

not exposed on myooma

NewAtOoma

Post by NewAtOoma » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:13 am

Hi, TomB. Thank you so much for all your help, but we're still having sound quality issues. It seems like you and customer service have done all you can do. I am planning on returning the ooma device and trying another service.

Thanks again.