ooma quality versus other service

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
NewAtOoma
ooma quality versus other service

Post by NewAtOoma » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:54 pm

Hi, all.

I'm sorry if this is an awkward question, but it's been on my mind. I have ooma, and from day one, I've experienced sound quality problems. TomB has done all he can do, and now customer service has stepped in as well. Meanwhile, I also have a Time Warner VOIP. The Time Warner quality has been perfect since day one, which was six years ago. Both phone systems are on the same internet service, so it's not a difference in broadband congestion, bandwidth, jitter, or packet loss. Does anyone have any idea why the Time Warner quality would be so much better than the ooma quality? I'm hoping I can use this information to help debug my ooma system.

Thanks.

testy

Re: ooma quality versus other service

Post by testy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:49 pm

Hello NewAtOoma;

I agree 100%. My former TWC VOIP was 100% perfect for over 3 years.

I could understand the current issues if OOMA was just getting started, but they seem to have been around for at least 10 years. In the 6 months I have had my TELO 2, it has NEVER come close to the quality I had with TWC. Never had lag, echo, delay, garbled speech, hum, buzz, etc. with the TWC service.

I did not do my research when I decided to go with OOMA. I was motivated by a small price increase with TWC.

I would switch back to TWC, but I read how porting your number away from OOMA is next to impossible, and I cannot give up the number.

I hope the OOMA crew gets things fixed up real soon, as my, and many others, patience is wearing very very thin.

You would think they would want to be perceived as a bullet-proof service, not some fly-by-night experiment that needs constant tweaking and adjusting.

NewAtOoma

Re: ooma quality versus other service

Post by NewAtOoma » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:00 am

Exactly, testy.

I was thinking that there may be something from the TWC setup that we can learn, but possibly not. I signed-up for ooma because of the cost savings, but I'm wondering if it's worth it. I have not ported my number to ooma yet, and maybe I won't. Thanks to what you said about porting a number from ooma to another service, I want to be really cautious about porting it to ooma in the first place.

It just doesn't make sense to me that one company can have spotless service and quality, and another service can struggle so much in trying to accomplish the same thing. But I'm blaming ooma again. Maybe it's just my setup that's causing the problems.