Close to giving up

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Fishface
Close to giving up

Post by Fishface » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:53 am

Well, after my latest "tweaks" to my router's QoS settings, after considerable improvement, I am now back to poor reception. Both myself, and the person on the receiving end, are experiencing skipping of words, delay, echoing, and cracking noises. It seems that when I make an adjustment, and experience are improvement, IT IS ONLY TEMPORARY.

I can't get on the East Coast Server because of my geographic location, and calling Customers Support has been worthless. Now, to those of whom I've recommended the service, I feel foolish and not credible.

Unless a miracle happens I'll have to use my cell phone, especially for long distance, and when my internet service provider bundle expires, I'll probabaly utilize them for home phone service. Also, I will actively dissuade others from purchasing and utilzing Ooma, much less going to Premier service or Security service. I just can't understand why it has been rated as high as it was, unless fraud is involved.

TonyW

Re: Close to giving up

Post by TonyW » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:44 am

Just for kicks, try this...

- Power down modem, router & Ooma device.
- Wait a minute, or 2.
- Power up the modem, let it boot & establish connection to network.
- Power up router, let it boot & establish connection to network(s... LAN/WAN).
- Power up Ooma device, let it boot & establish connection to network(s).

Test phone quality. This typically works for me on the rare occasions call quality is poor. If not for you, try the third-party VOIP line quality test posted elsewhere on this forum.

Seems like voodoo (& certainly no panacea), but occasionally, the axiom 'when in doubt, punch it out' can actually have merit.

Fishface

Post by Fishface » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:47 am

I have a combination router and modem, so I don't know if it'll work, but I'll give it a try nevertheless. Best case scenerio is that if it does work, it would only be temporary, and I would therefore have to repeat the process every few days or week. We shouldn't have to do this.

Anyways, thank you Tony!

Fishface

Post by Fishface » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:06 pm

Followed Tony's suggestions and the clicking and word skipping are unchanged, it didn't work.

Unless Ooma comes up with a fix, I will not upgrade, and will actively dissuade others from getting Ooma.

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:05 am

Have you run the VOIP line quality test? I had this one bookmarked:

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip-test-html5.htm

Tried a different (corded?) phone plugged into the Ooma device phone port?

The difficulty with diagnosing this type of problem is that most of the infrastructure that Ooma leverages is beyond their control. The test results will provide a general 'health of the infrstructure' status. Assuming you get positive results, others in the forum experiencing the clicking, etc. you describe found it changed/improved when trying a different phone.

t15industries

Post by t15industries » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:01 am

This isn't quite fair, "Unless Ooma comes up with a fix, I will not upgrade, and will actively dissuade others from getting Ooma." We have been using both the home and office units for 4 years now and the service is fantastic... there is something going on with your setup, obviously...

Is it possible to bring the Ooma elsewhere and connect it to see if it's your ISP or equipment?

Fishface

Post by Fishface » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:33 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have a quite new modem/router and great high-spead internet and a 2 yr. old Panasonic cordless phone system. If the problem is my equipment, I think Ooma should issue a disclaimer and be as specific as possible, because one would think that my set-up would be more than adequate.

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:54 pm

Please run the test a couple of posts back in this thread just to be sure. I have 200/10 Mbps internet and my year old modem was in trouble. It was dropping up to 17 % of my upstream packets which destroyed my outbound audio. A new modem solved the problem.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx