Spotty voice & reception.

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
KCL655321
Spotty voice & reception.

Post by KCL655321 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:46 pm

I've been having problems with reception. Some calls people just tell me they can't hear me & to call back in the worst cases & others where they say they can barely hear me. There are many calls that are perfectly clear on both ends & I'm usually fine on my end, but it's hit or miss whether the other end gets a good voice. I recently switched from a slow DSL service that I was lucky to hit Ooma minimum speed levels to satellite that's pulling 20 megs when testing my internet. I know satellite has latency issues, but I'd think the speed would make up for some of that. I also had an issue with there being static on my Panasonic 6.0 dect handsets on the intercom & I figured that was something that had to be a problem with the phones, but I got a new set & the phone calls are still spotty. Any help or any ideas towards what could be causing this? Thanks.

murphy

Re: Spotty voice & reception.

Post by murphy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:02 am

Speed can't make up for the round trip delay time to a satellite in a synchronous orbit. Have you ever noticed on a live news program the up to 5 second delay when the guy in the newsroom asks the reporter in the field a question?
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

KCL655321

Post by KCL655321 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:13 am

About what I figured. Where can you cancel your Ooma so they don't charge the tax BS?

TheOldGrouch

Post by TheOldGrouch » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:35 am

So how is it then that satellite internet (Excede specifically) can offer home phone service? Would they not suffer the same delay issue?
I don't mind getting old, but my body is taking it badly