choppy/robotic call quality

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
murphy
Re: choppy/robotic call quality

Post by murphy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:13 pm

Your downstream power levels are lower than optimum which is 0.
Your upstream power level is higher than I like to see.

Is your cable split where it enters the house using a two way splitter with one side going directly to the modem and the other side feeding TV sets? The splitter should be a bi-directional splitter good from 5 MHz to at least 1000 Mhz.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

turtlebud

Post by turtlebud » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:41 pm

The main cable box is inside the house. This is a picture of the splitter https://photos.app.goo.gl/uyRNBHZJ0ZlTsGx82.

There is a service line coming in (5-1002MHz) and then 4 lines going out. 2 for TVs and 2 for cable outlets. I had him run a second cable/internet outlet because I may be moving the cable modem in the next few months.

Would these downstream and upstream power levels cause the choppy/robotic audio? And is that something that comcast would be willing/able to adjust (or come out if necessary)?

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:29 am

I said a two way splitter for a reason. A two way splitter drops the signal by about 3.5 dB.
The SV-4G has an insertion loss of 8 dB for downstream and an upstream insertion loss of 25 dB.

http://www.commscope.com/catalog/splitt ... x?id=45335

That is not a bi-directional splitter. The 25 dB return loss is forcing the cable company to set the upstream transmit power very high to force enough signal through to work.

For reference 3 dB cuts the signal in half, 6 dB cuts the signal to 1/4, 9 dB cuts the signal to 1/8.

I have a 4 port powered bi-directional amplifier (typically called a drop amp) where my cable enters the house. One output of the amplifier goes directly to the cable modem.

This is not what I have but it is similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Amplifie ... Src=detail

turtlebud

Post by turtlebud » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:29 am

thanks murphy.

is it pretty good chance this splitter and the resulting insertion loss is likely what is causing the poor call quality?

and if I call comcast, would I request a them to replace the SV-4G with a bi-directional amplifier (assuming they are willing to do so)? I'm a little afraid of response as I expect them to try and sell me on their triple play package rather than fix my line.

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:06 am

I don't know if it will fix it. All you can do is fix everything that can be a problem and see what happens. Comcast is unlikely to care that Ooma doesn't work right when they have their own phone system. They will definitely try to up sell you.