Call quality is inaudible

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
VoIP-Newbie
Call quality is inaudible

Post by VoIP-Newbie » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:29 pm

Just installed last weekend but call quality is terrible, Am hard wired to router with 220Mbps outbound, 12Mbps inbound. Call audio is garbled, echo, noisy and intermittent. Cannot even talk to my wife on her cellphone across the room, let alone Ooma Tech Support. Very frustrated. Left great service on Comcast for this and am now wondering why. What can I do? The Chat Line tried something but zero effect. Help! :(

VoIP-Newbie

Re: Call quality is inaudible

Post by VoIP-Newbie » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:53 pm

Correction: 220 download, 12 upload. Also using two new Ooma HD2 handsets and they are questionable in call quality but I can't tell if it is Ooma or the handset. My V-Tech phones seem to be better than the Ooma handsets.

geoart

Post by geoart » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:05 pm

If you live on the east coast, ask to be placed on the east coast server if not already. This helped me a lot, along with removing the *68 request. If you don't know what that is, then don't worry about it.

sandjam

Post by sandjam » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:56 am

Having same issue. Beside cost might have to go back to Comcast, the quality is like static, like the volume is turned up way to high. Hard to understand anyone.
I have same specs as you through Comcast.
Funny it seems they do not care if people cancel. Support has no suggestions on how to resolve.
Frustrated.

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:38 am

Run the html5 version of this test.

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

All of the quality icons should be green.

I am on Comcast and found that my modem was discarding up to 17% of the upstream packets. That's not a problem for a TCP connection but it is catastrophic for a UDP connection which is what VOIP uses.

A new modem solved the problem.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx