Call Quality Issues

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Mamarabbit
Call Quality Issues

Post by Mamarabbit » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:00 pm

I have been experiencing problems for a very long time with call quality. The calls are echoing, and then they drop. I purchased an Ooma handset hoping that would help and it did not. Any ideas? I do not believe my internet speed or connection is the issue. Now what? I am ready to get rid of my Ooma as it is so frustrating.

murphy

Re: Call Quality Issues

Post by murphy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:55 am

The internet requirements for a phone call are very different from those required to access a web site.

Run the html5 version of this test.

https://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

to analyze your connection. There should be no packet loss in either direction.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Mamarabbit

Post by Mamarabbit » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:04 am

I ran the VoIP test, everything was fine except for the "jitter" portion. It was measured at 45.7 ms which indicates it is too unpredictable to sustain a constant flow of data. So now what? Is there anyway to fix that?

geoart

Post by geoart » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:01 pm

If you live on the east coast, ask to be placed on the east coast server if not already.

Did you by any chance ask to have the higher quality codec used? ..the *68 request topic. If yes, ask to have it removed. For me, changing to east coast and setting back my ooma to default codec has been 10000% perfect compared to two years of good but not great service.

Also, is your Ooma connected to the internet over WiFi or wired (recommended way) directly to your router?