Latency (delay) -- Does fiber make a difference?

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Scott_N
Latency (delay) -- Does fiber make a difference?

Post by Scott_N » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:57 am

I just got an Ooma Telo and connected it to my 40Mbps DSL modem. The latency (transmission delay) is a bit more than I would like it to be, and I'm wondering if upgrading my internet service to a fiber-optic connection with the same 40Mbps data rate would make a difference:

Has anyone noticed a change in latency, better or worse, when switching from DSL or Cable broadband to Fiber?

Thanks in advance. :)

bobd

Re: Latency (delay) -- Does fiber make a difference?

Post by bobd » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:02 am

I changed from CenturyLink (Denver) 40M copper DSL to CenturyLink 1G Fiber.

Average latency went from 11-40ms down to 2-10ms, typically around 4ms.

It cleared up all of my call quality issues.

Also it has gone down once in 2+ years and that only required a call to CL and modem restart to fix.

Scott_N

Post by Scott_N » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:09 pm

Thanks, @bobd -- you've convinced me to give it a try.

(If I forget to report my results within a month, anyone reading this is welcome to ask.)

Scott_N

Post by Scott_N » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:18 pm

@bobd -- Here's my report: I'm happy with fiber in general, but the switch from 40Mbit DSL to 1Gbit fiber has not resulted in any noticeable reduction in call latency. Here are the results of test calls made to my wife's cell phone today:

1. Calling from my cell phone on the same network: 400ms delay (typical).

2. Calling from my traditional phone connected to the Ooma Telo: 430ms delay (worse).

3. Calling from Google Voice/Hangouts app over wifi: 333ms delay (better).

The delay on my old landline was under 200ms -- the clear winner -- with the free Google service in second place and Ooma in last place.

I'm wondering if you (or anyone else) did anything with the settings of your Telo, your modem, or your router -- like port forwarding, static IP, DMZ, etc. -- that successfully reduced latency below 300ms. On the Telo's advanced settings page, I set the QoS upstream speed to the max (10,000 Kbps) but that actually made the latency a little worse -- presumably because my fiber connection is faster than that.