Suddenly Works Badly

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
troothteller
Suddenly Works Badly

Post by troothteller » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:31 pm

After having satisfactory service since about June of 2012, I am now afraid to use my Ooma Telo due to the quitting dialtone. The problem surfaced on Friday, February 9, 2018 after a Windows 7 64-Bit crash. I thought I had a networking problem due to the computer being in service for a Windows restoration and data retrieval; but I could still stream. Ooma's dialtone quitting was the most noticeable problem. Last Wednesday I saw that having the computer back had nothing to do with the problem. Among my equipment is a Netgear CM500 cable modem, a Linksys EA7300 wireless router. Up until last Thursday Ooma Telo connected to the router; however, I decided that day to change my configuration. Having a still unused Netgear FVS114 ProSafe VPN Firewall Switch with 5 ports counting the one for the modem, I decided to connect that to the modem. The router and Telo now connect to the firewall. It worked fine until last Saturday when I left a voicemail with someone; and then afterward I could not make any more calls due to the quitting dialtone resurfacing. Today, noticing I had a damaged Ethernet cable connecting my Ooma, I replaced it thinking that would solve the problem; but it didn't. Then I changed the telephone cord amid a few moments powercycling the equipment. The telephone is an AT&T CL2939, a wired handset - you know, with a coiled cord connecting receiver and base. Does anybody have any ideas why I suddenly have bad audio? They are still selling this phone even though it seems antiquated; so I would be surprised if that's bad. I have a few other phones, all wireless, that fell into disuse while satisfied with Ooma. So, the batteries in these phones probably died. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

murphy

Re: Suddenly Works Badly

Post by murphy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:24 am

With a switch connected to the modem and a router and the Telo connected to the switch you are asking your ISP for 2 IP addresses. Unless you are paying the ISP for 2 IP addresses the modem is going to block whichever one tries to connect second after the modem is powered on. Connect the Telo to the router.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

troothteller

Post by troothteller » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:08 am

" Connect the Telo to the router," which will not correct the problem because that was the original configuration under which it quit working. I thought if you were going to recommend a change in connections that you would suggest that I connect Telo directly to the modem. Connecting back to the router will amount to a waste of time and effort.

oostburg

Post by oostburg » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:55 pm

I also have had recent problems. Everything was working fine for 5 years, now things are terrible. Outgoing calls have no audio from other end. NOTHING on my side has changed, I am at the point of giving up, as we cannot trust making a call without attempting it 2-3 times. I had high hopes that Ooma would get BETTER over time, but it seems they just cannot get it together. This system should be Plug & Play, like every other electronic device I buy. Saving money is great, but I need a system that actually works when I make a call.

troothteller

Post by troothteller » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:14 am

oostburg, is your problem the Ooma Telo or the telephone you use with it? I have the dilemma of locating the problem. With everything on my Ooma Telo lit up like Watson on Jeopardy, I can only look at the telephone set. My telephone model seems durable enough to withstand use. However, it works just as faulty even after changing the telephone cord. Substituting another one of my phones for it might entail a purchase of phone batteries. Meanwhile, I am trying to connect to the Internet differently with equipment I have but never used. All along I have assumed that the telephone equipment I have is working fine even though there may be something wrong that I cannot detect.