Calls Dropout Intermittently for 5-20 seconds or more

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
petercs
Calls Dropout Intermittently for 5-20 seconds or more

Post by petercs » Thu May 17, 2018 8:43 am

I have recently (like the last 4 months) been experiencing dropouts during calls on my Ooma Telo. The call will be fine for up to 30 minutes, but suddenly I can’t hear the other person, and I get a low buzzing or static sound. Then it generally goes away after 5 - 20 seconds (although I had one call during which the dropout lasted longer and I hung up).

My setup is not the recommended one, but I think it should work. My modem doubles as a router. The Telo is connected directly into one of its Ethernet ports.

My ISP is AT&T Fiber
I get ridiculous up/down speeds: 900/300 is a low estimate

I see others having problems with certain servers. Could that be the case?

dqtech

Re: Calls Dropout Intermittently for 5-20 seconds or more

Post by dqtech » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:12 pm

I have also been having this problem for the last few weeks.
My internet connection is 150Mbps DL and 15Mbps UL.
I have tried both methods to connect the Ooma Telo: Modem-Ooma-Router and Modem-Router-Ooma.
Both methods have the same issue, but I do notice a huge difference in connection speed when the Ooma is connected in front of my Router. My DL speed goes down to ~20Mbps to 45Mbps.

Is there a solution to this problem?
I have tried adjusting the QOS settings and it doesn't seem to make a difference.