Can't receive inbound calls (intermittent) / Outbound works

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
UserTR
Can't receive inbound calls (intermittent) / Outbound works

Post by UserTR » Mon May 28, 2018 6:18 pm

I have used Ooma for several years. Recently I am sometimes unable to successfully receive inbound calls, but outbound calls work fine.

When this happens with inbound calls, the phone still rings and caller ID displays correctly. However, upon answering all I can hear is loud static. The caller continues to hear ringing, as if the phone were never answered. This has happened several times over the past couple of weeks. I tried calling my Ooma number today and got the above results three times in a row, but was still able to make outbound calls. I tried again a couple of hours later and that time the inbound call worked. It seems to work about half the time.

Any idea what could be causing this or how to fix? My internet connection has been reliable.

murphy

Re: Can't receive inbound calls (intermittent) / Outbound works

Post by murphy » Tue May 29, 2018 2:31 am

Try a different phone cable between the phone and the Telo.
Try a different phone.
If connected to your house wiring, connect a phone directly to the Telo with no connection to the house wiring.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

UserTR

Post by UserTR » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:05 pm

I have tried a different phone cable and different phone. (My phone was already directly connected to the Telo and not through house wiring.) It has not solved the problem. I'm still getting intermittent problems with inbound calls only.

Any other ideas? Is it possible the Telo itself is failing and how would I know? The system is kind of useless in its current state.

Telo_BK

Post by Telo_BK » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:12 pm

If it were the cable both inbound and outbound calls would be affected. I am now having the identical problem. Additionally, my Telo reboots after I attempt to answer an incoming call.

Telo_BK

Post by Telo_BK » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:24 pm

I've been having the identical problem since Thursday, 6/14 (three days). I just called Ooma support, and they tried to blame: (1) my old Telo, (2) my phone system, (3) my router, (4) my ISP (180Mbps down, 12 up), but not Ooma. Many others have reported identical problems beginning late last month. I (and it seems many of them) are on the West Coast server. Hmmm.... What could be causing this?

Telo_BK

Post by Telo_BK » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:02 pm

I finally had the great privilege of speaking to Tier-2 support (they were supposed to call me yesterday, but I twice called them today and was transferred to Tier-2 within a minute). They asked about my telephone cord (can that make a Telo reboot while allowing outgoing calls to be made just fine - NO!). Another tech just asked me about my Ethernet cable. Again- I can communicate with the Telo over my network and manage it through its web interface. It reboots when I try to answer a call. If I let it ring through to voicemail it's fine.

Support told me that my Telo has gone bad. They were sure of it. I was skeptical (and a bit snotty, much to my shame). I replaced it, and VOILA! it works.