Voice break up

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
jay chang
Voice break up

Post by jay chang » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:54 pm

I am a long time ooma user and have been experiencing bad voice quality over the past months. The other party always complain about voice break up and this happens most of the time and I have to use my cell phone instead. FYI, I have blast comcast internet connection, speed is not the issue. T some point, I almost consider cancelling the service. Please help? Thanks.

murphy

Re: Voice break up

Post by murphy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:53 pm

I had this problem because of a failing modem. 17% of the upstream packets were being lost.

Run the html5 version of this test.

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

All of the icons should be green.

If you don't get all green and rent a modem from from Comcast, ask for a new one.

I don't rent and bought a new modem. That solved my audio problem.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

jay chang

Post by jay chang » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:47 pm

Thanks a lot for the reply and will report back.

jay chang

Post by jay chang » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:36 pm

Sorry I just got chance to do the test and got first ( download ) and second ( upload) green , while the third ( consistency of service ) red. Do I need to change my modem to solve the voice breakup issue? Thanks.

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:52 am

I have not seen that combination. Up and down green means all of the packets are being received while the red means they are not being received at a regular spacing which is necessary for VOIP to work.

If you are renting the modem from Comcast tell them you want to try a different one to see if it will solve the problem.

If you own the modem the only test I know is to get a new modem.

You could take the Telo to a relative or friends house to see if the problem follows the Telo or if it works at the new location.

Check your router to see if SIP ALG is enabled and disable it if it is enabled.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

AllanMarcus

Post by AllanMarcus » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:59 am

Thanks for the link to the test. I was having issue with the ooma and break up, and then I ran the test. Multiple red dots :cry:

I rebooted the cable modem and all the dots are green, and one yellow. I did a test call, and it sounded great.

So, if you are having issues, start simple: reboot the cable modem, then test again.

on a side note, I order a new DOCSIS 3.1 modem from Amazon on Prime day, so we'll see if the new one is more consistent.

Thanks again.

jay chang

Post by jay chang » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:13 am

Hi,
How's the new 3.1 modem , better voice quality, I guess? I ordered Arris SB 8200 on Amazon, the call quality sounds better than my previous Motorola 6580. But I paid $170 for the modem. Thanks.

jay chang

Post by jay chang » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:15 am

Thanks a lot for the help from Murphy.