Ping

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
kpb
Ping

Post by kpb » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:33 am

Why is it that the OOMA speed test at http://support.ooma.com/home/speed-test/ always gives me a higher ping rating (usually 4x higher) then other Ookla speedtest sites?

When I call OOMA about dropped calls they often tell me to call my internet provider (SHAW) because of the PING response. Then my internet provider runs their own test and says that it is fine and nothing changes.

Sick of having to constantly troubleshoot a voip phone.

Any suggestions?

robertm101

Re: Ping

Post by robertm101 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:38 pm

Wow. I've never used the ooma speed test before and just tried it. It has my pings at 87, but through other speed test sites its only between 8 and 10.
There's no way ooma's speed test is accurate. It even has my download speeds at 94 mbs, but at other sites its 985 mbs.
Almost like they've created a site to use as an excuse if you're experience poor call quality.

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:06 am

Speed test results depend a lot on where the test server is hosted relative to your location.

The speed of a connection is just one, of may, aspects which can affect call quality.

Try a more comprehensive test like this: http://www.whichvoip.com/voip-test.htm

& if the results report issues, make sure to scroll down to view troubleshooting tips.

kpb

Post by kpb » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:59 am

Thanks Tony.
I have used that test site many times and I get all green results 95% of the time. The other times I get 1-2 yellow results.

andyross

Post by andyross » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:36 am

If you look at the test screen,you can see it is to Ooma's California server. Since Ooma has a east-coast server, they should also offer a test to that. That said, it would be nice to know which server my Telo is connected to.

kpb

Post by kpb » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:57 am

Yes it is unfortunate.
The internet provider is never going to ping the OOMA sever and say 'hey this is our problem'.
Their only concern is a ping reading to their own modem.
*sigh*

don242

Post by don242 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:07 pm

I am having issues where every once and awhile I get a brr-rr-rr sound and can't hear the other side. Ooma support made me run this speed test and then tried to tell me the latency of 49ms (everywhere else is 10ms or less) is the problem and to contact my ISP. I get nowhere near that high on any other speed test so my ISP says there is nothing wrong.