Ooma to Ooma Calls Echoing...Help.

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
George P.
Ooma to Ooma Calls Echoing...Help.

Post by George P. » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:39 pm

Hi everyone!
I've already been on the phone twice in the last week with customer support to try to resolve an issue when my dad (has a Telo 2 which I bought for him) in Fresno calls me in Las Vegas (Telo 1). When he calls me, he hears echoing and garbled speech from me. He says that all other calls he makes to others are clear. I can hear him fine most of the time except for hearing myself echo in the background as the call progresses over time. I have had my router, modem, and ooma reset. My dad has too. Not sure what there is left to do. When I asked about the east coast vs west coast server (Tom, any ideas?) option, tech support didn't indicate that it would help. This problem just started about 6 weeks ago and was never an issue before it started. I have not made any changes in the configuration of my setup. I don't know what could have caused the change in call quality.

I love my ooma and have since I got it in April of 2013. My dad loves it even more as he doesn't have to worry about long distance charges anymore. He even brags about it to his friends.

Any ideas or advice would be helpful.

George

murphy

Re: Ooma to Ooma Calls Echoing...Help.

Post by murphy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:41 am

Run the html5 version of this test.

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

All of the result icons should be green.

Is a speakerphone being used at either end? If it is try turning it off.

Is the phone connected directly to the Telo or is house wiring involved? Try the direct connection.

The east coast server is there to reduce the distance (delay) for people on the east coast.

Do either of you have "budget" internet? One of the ways to slow down an internet connection is to simply discard packets. That works for a TCP connection which will retry to get the discarded packets. VOIP uses UDP which is a real time protocol that does not have retry capability.

In my case poor outbound audio was caused by a failing modem that was dropping 17% of the outbound packets.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx