Call quality has dropped dramatically

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Sandy7330
Call quality has dropped dramatically

Post by Sandy7330 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:55 pm

Call quality used to be fine but now calls drop, terrible echo or static with voices fading in or out. What can I do to fix this problem?

Falc0n

Re: Call quality has dropped dramatically

Post by Falc0n » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:10 pm

Call quality is bad and getting worse. I bought into how much better call quality would be if I upgraded/replaced to Ooma handsets. The call quality is much worse after replacing my Panasonic phones. I’m ready to go back, though I’d need to replace their batteries (why I considered spending the money on new phones instead). My calls sound worse and the speakerphone is just horrible. Ooma’s ridiculous recommendation that you put their equipment ahead of your router is not something anyone should do unless they like severely throttling their entire network.

And with recent updates the overall service is getting worse. All of my incoming calls are dropped after a few seconds, making my callers think I keep hanging up on them. Ooma must fix this!
Happy Ooma customer since January 2009
Lifetime Premier Member

marcoblanco

Post by marcoblanco » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:12 pm

So, does anyone from Ooma ever show up on these forums?
If MY call quality declines then I'll be in deep trouble. It better not.
So far, so good though, I can't complain but for the occasional glitch...

I guess we should all have an alternate provider in mind, just in case.
Certainly true if Ooma feels no need to address issues raised in a Forum such as this.
I find that surprising though, why have a Forum and then not listen to your customers?

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:56 pm

You might want to test the quality of your internet connection (beyond Ooma's control).

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip-test.htm

Scroll down for explanation of results / troubleshooting suggestions.

marcoblanco

Post by marcoblanco » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:29 am

I don't have any problems right now, so obviously my connection quality is OK, but thanks for that link.
I was just reading a few threads in this forum and noticed that nobody from Ooma seems to be replying to any of them.
THAT concerns me because if my connection starts to come unglued I want to know that Ooma is going to look into it and try and get it resolved. Some other threads here, by people with far more technical know-how than me, make me wonder what happens when things go wrong. Particularly with firmware updates.
Ounce of prevention...

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:54 am

I'm inclined to agree that Ooma forum presence has been sparse, of late... concerns e, too, but I'm willing to write it off to an all-out focus on the home security stuff (for now). Fortunately, most of these quality issues ultimately fall into the self-help category (IMO)