Speed effect-Ooma direct connect-cable modem or thru router?

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
TambourineMan
Speed effect-Ooma direct connect-cable modem or thru router?

Post by TambourineMan » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:50 pm

I have a Comcast TM702G cable modem and an ASUS RT-AC86U AC2900 Dual-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi Router with MU-MIMO. I am in the process of slimming down my $450+/month Comcast "stupid" plan for TV, VOIP, Web at 2 locations so I may be buying my own modem as well as dumping the VOIP for Ooma. And also switching to an nVidia Shield and OTA HD antenna and some streaming services rather than TV (cable). I just added an Ooma at 2nd home and connected it direct to my cable modem rather than my router (or switch) as I thought that would give the best voice quality (I have the Blast! 250 Mbs down plan) but now I am wondering if a voice call will degrade the video signal. Even with several anti-malware programs and going thru a PIA VPN connection in practice I get 85 MBS down and 11 up at 21 ms pings.

Would I be better going thru the router and using QOS for the Ooma and streaming (I don't do real time gaming)?

murphy

Re: Speed effect-Ooma direct connect-cable modem or thru router?

Post by murphy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:39 am

Connect the Telo to your router. It has a max speed of 100 Mbps which means you get no advantage from your 250 Mbps internet speed.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

TambourineMan

Re: Speed effect-Ooma direct connect-cable modem or thru router?

Post by TambourineMan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:43 am

I thought the Ooma had a 100 MBps max but wasn't sure if that applied to the pass thru to the router. Thanks for confirming.

I thought it would be better to implement QOS on the router to ensure the Ooma and shield/streaming got a reserved bandwidth.