Call interruptions?

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
modwoe
Call interruptions?

Post by modwoe » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:32 pm

I have used Ooma for approximately four years and have only recently noticed quality issues that are steadily interrupting my usage. One that I notice most often is a scanner or dial-up type of sound. There are times when only I can hear this, but there are times when the person on the other line can hear it. Sometimes the conversation will become garbled, almost as if we're both using cell phones and are going through a tunnel. I can tolerate that, as it doesn't happen often & is probably to be expected of this type of technology/connection.

The last few nights, both the other person on the line and I can hear button-pushing sounds, as if someone has picked up another line and is attempting to dial a number. There will be a pause, as if someone's realizing their call is not going through, before the button-pushing continues. I use a cordless home phone and only have the one phone/line. Both callers this has happened with have been adamant that they have not pressed buttons either purposely or accidentally.

Has anyone experienced this? I've never had a problem until recently, but these problems are becoming more frequent and irritating. I don't know if I should contact Ooma or my internet company, so I thought I should try to find out if other people have experienced these issues.

To note, the Ooma box is hard-linked to the internet. The phone is a cordless phone that's not too old or too new. I don't have any sort of device(s) that would interfere with either, as far as I'm aware.

Thanks in advance for any replies and/or suggestions!

murphy

Re: Call interruptions?

Post by murphy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:46 am

Are either of the parties on the call female? There is a problem that has existed since the invention of touchtone dialing. Some female voices are prone to being interpreted as touchtones. They have just the right frequencies to trigger a touchtone decoder. The decoder is listening in case you called your bank and need to enter touchtones to identify yourself. It's problematic with Ooma because instead of passing a tone generated by the callers phone through they block the audio path and generate a perfect tone. I've never understood why they do this. I don't think any other phone company regenerates touchtones.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

modwoe

Re: Call interruptions?

Post by modwoe » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:41 am

They actually both are. I have never heard of this and honestly thought it sounded outrageous, so I did a random Google search and can't believe that! I didn't know something like that could even happen. All parties involved are female, so if that's the problem, there may not be any hope for us, lol!

Thank you for your reply; I'll look into it more.