LOOKING FOR HELP-Unusable Phone Quality when network is busy

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
wrj
LOOKING FOR HELP-Unusable Phone Quality when network is busy

Post by wrj » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:07 am

I’m looking for help on call quality under specific conditions. My wife was on the phone and the person on the other end couldn’t understand her. Words were being dropped etc. However, she could hear the other person fine. I noticed that my computer was up loading a lot of files to Google Drive when the problem occurred. After the upload was completed, voice communication was good in both directions.
My setup is: ATT Gateway -> Google Wifi mesh router -> Switch -> all ethernet connected devices including Ooma device.

The Google Wifi has no provisions for QOS. I ran the Ooma Speed Test twice and got:
Download Upload Ping Jitter
22.7 1.6 74 7
21.6 1.6 74 5

These tests were run with no uploads in progress. I then started a large file copy to Google Drive and I couldn’t even get the Ooma Speed Test to run.

Any ideas? Would installing the Ooma upstream of the Google Wifi router help? Would installing one of my old routers (with radios off) between ATT Gateway and Google Wifi do anything if I ran two ethernet lines (one to Ooma and the other to Google Wifi) be of any benefit? Since my old router has QOS, I’m wondering if that might help the situation.

murphy

Re: LOOKING FOR HELP-Unusable Phone Quality when network is busy

Post by murphy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:44 am

What are your speeds as advertised by your ISP? Those numbers seem low for today's networks. Mine is 250/10. Does the ATT Gateway have more than one lan port? If it does, connect the Telo there. Does the ATT Gateway have QOS? By definition a gateway is a modem and a router in the same box. Unless you have disabled the router in the Gateway you have two routers in a row.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

wrj

Re: LOOKING FOR HELP-Unusable Phone Quality when network is busy

Post by wrj » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:38 am

My ATT ISP plan is the 18Mbps plan. They have one higher for 25 Mbps out in my area.
My ATT Gateway is the AT&T Motorola NVG589 VDSL2 Gateway. It has 3 unused Ethernet ports. The 4th port is feeding the Google Wifi router. I briefly went through the PDF (manual) and it mentions QOS; however, when I went into the Gateway, I did not see how to set it. Also currently I have the radio off on the Gateway and just passing through on one address (to the Google Wifi).