Can't answer incoming calls when using router VPN

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
ViperStl
Can't answer incoming calls when using router VPN

Post by ViperStl » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:59 pm

Ooma was working fine until I started using an OpenVPN configuration on my Asus router. When the VPN is enabled, I can make outgoing calls with Ooma (though they might drop around 15-25 minutes. However, incoming calls ring the phone but when I pick up there is silence. When I call my Ooma using my cell phone, even though I pick up Ooma (there is silence), on my cell phone the phone is still ringing. It eventually goes to the Ooma message stating I cannot come to the phone right now.

The only suggestion from Ooma was to place the Ooma into the router's DMZ. I placed the IP address assigned it Ooma into the DMZ but there was no change with Ooma. I tried setting Ooma to a static IP address but still no change. I cannot answer incoming calls when the VPN is enabled.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

murphy

Re: Can't answer incoming calls when using router VPN

Post by murphy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:29 pm

You need to create a bypass around the vpn for the Telo. With the vpn active the Telo data is trying to go through the vpn but it can't reach Ooma's server via that route. The Telo uses a vpn to reach the Ooma server. A vpn within another vpn is unlikely to work.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

ViperStl

Re: Can't answer incoming calls when using router VPN

Post by ViperStl » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:59 pm

Whether my VPN is enabled or disabled, I have three green check marks on the Telo setup page showing it is connected to the internet, connected to Ooma's server, and the device settings are configured. Why is everything green when it is really not functioning properly?

If the Telo can't work properly when VPN is enabled, I wonder why Ooma tech support (even Level 3) did not know this. Level 3 told me to put the Ooma inside the DMZ.

Anyone know how to create a bypass for the Telo around the VPN?