Dropped calls getting worse

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
wrj
Dropped calls getting worse

Post by wrj » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:47 am

I am seriously considering dropping Ooma. I had Ooma for several years, went to AT&T and now back to Ooma. Initially, all was fine but now my wife and I have both experienced dropped calls almost every time we try and use the phone for an extended call.
Anyone else having dropped calls issues?

jgs3

Re: Dropped calls getting worse

Post by jgs3 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:34 am

We have this same issue. Almost any call lasting more than ten minutes ends up dropping. We can then immediately call back to resume the conversation. Thus used to occur once in a while. Now it seems to occur on most calls. No other internet device in the house has issues. We need more reliable service if we are to remain on ooma.

dloudenb

Post by dloudenb » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:06 pm

I've had Ooma for about 5 months. Worked fine at first, last 3 weeks it constantly drops calls, mostly incoming after 2-5 mins. I have AT&T Router Modem on 100mb internet. Ooma is plugged directly into Ethernet on the modem. I have a Panasonic wireless phone with the base plugged into Ooma.

Any suggestions on why it is dropping almost every call now?

wrj

Post by wrj » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:58 am

I may have gotten rid of my drop problem. I recently had two calls over an hour long and others not nearly that long with no issues (a first for me). I don't want to tag the problem gone but certainly encouraging.
I first replaced my Ooma with a new one. That didn't help but my Telo was one of the originals so no big deal replacing it. Then I replaced my Panasonic cordless phones with AT&T cordless phones. That helped but it was not a 100% fix. Finally, I had AT&T replace their NVG589. Now things appear to be much more stable. I suspect the NVG gateway may have had intermittent problems that wouldn't necessarily show up on a website but a phone connection would be lost.

Phitchco

Post by Phitchco » Thu May 02, 2019 4:00 pm

The dropped call problem has hit our Ooma here in southern NH. Something happened as the problem seems to have started within the past month or so. Previously, calls of any duration would not drop, some of those calls would be 45min to 1 hour. But now any call longer than a few minutes will have a drop. Have not made any modem or router changes.

Alien

Post by Alien » Thu May 09, 2019 5:16 pm

Is anyone at OOMA looking into this? Its pretty widespread.

Mine has been horrible and I can't have a phonecall at all beyond a couple minutes without the call being dropped from my end.. This has been happening for 2 months now...

eskimodeb

Post by eskimodeb » Tue May 14, 2019 6:36 pm

I have been a ooma user since 2009. I do not get charged any monthly fees as being one of the few pioneers in signing up for their service. I was on a phone call with a friend tonight....suddenly quiet on my friend's end but call continued. Had to hang up and call again 3x tonight. I changed from Frontier to Spectrum in last 2 months; went with 30mps but seems to be under 5mps uploads. :x

FrankJPost

Post by FrankJPost » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:01 pm

Just to add my experience: I have been an Ooma customer since 2013. Recently (less than a year) the number and frequency of dropped calls has become so bad that we are considering dropping the Ooma service. Dropped calls usually occur very early in the call (first minute or so). Sometimes the callback on the incoming call drops too. Ooma Telo is connected immediately behind our Bell Home3000 router (fibre service - not in bridge mode).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

chuckpen

Post by chuckpen » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:16 am

On the dropped calls question - this is what I found at my father's house.

I discovered that, in my case, his AC adapter for his router was flaking out. He was experiencing dropped calls on a long conversation. Turned out his network was bouncing and he really did not see that. I saw it when I connected a laptop to his router and noticed a network dropped message. Found the wrong AC Adapter being used in my case.

So, my guidance would be to check any AC Power Adapter that powers anything to do with the OOMA or your network. Possibly just replace the OOMA supply with a new/different power adapter as a test.

From a network perspective you can look at your router or cable modem logs to see if they are rebooting causing the havoc.

Paul344

Post by Paul344 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:58 pm

Being one of the first gen users of the Ooma voip. Ooma has always had random call issues like most discount voip providers. It has gotten better over the years with better connections and faster internet speeds. I have never had a call dropped but I have had a number of choppy calls and calls with some echo. My Ooma & Cell phone calls are hit and miss, Ooma & land line calls are good and Ooma & voip calls are great. My guess to why this happens is that the cable, ma bells and Cell providers are giving Ooma a lower level of service when there call volumes are high or when there having network problems. So when they have high call volumes or network problems they drop Oomas leval of service and connections giving you bad call quality and drops calls.