Call Quality, old equipment?

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
jafriede
Call Quality, old equipment?

Post by jafriede » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:01 am

My Ooma Telo was purchased back around 2011, current firmware is Version: 240828. The Telo feeds into a Panasonic base station with several wireless handsets. The call quality has never been that great but "good enough".

After experiencing the "WiFi" calling feature on my cell phone (through my home WiFi network), the Ooma quality is terrible. I understand it's not completely an apples to apples comparison, but am wondering if it's possible to improve the quality by upgrading my Telo? I've read mixed reviews on the Ooma handsets. Any ideas would be appreciated.

BTW, Looking at call statistics, XC Latency is running in the 130-180 range. Max jitter for the last 10 calls ranges from 8.6-25.75ms.

jafriede

Re: Call Quality, old equipment?

Post by jafriede » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:46 pm

After a little research I have decided to just upgrade to the new generation Telo and buy a couple HD3's. Hopefully that will do it.

jafriede

Re: Call Quality, old equipment?

Post by jafriede » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:27 pm

So I now have the upgraded Telo and two HD3 handsets. Overall I am very happy. The sound quality is much better than my old Panasonic Dect6 system that was tied to the phone port. Making a call from the HD3 to a cell phone with HD voice enabled is quite good. If anyone from Ooma is reading this here are a couple minor complaints and suggestions:

1.) The speakerphone on the HD3 has a muffled sound. To hear it more clearly, you have to turn the handset over so the speaker faces you directly and turn down the volume. It's almost like there is too much gain in the circuitry. Of course with the speaker facing you, the microphone is on the wrong side.

2.) There needs to be a screen brightness setting below "low". I like the screen being lit all the time, but in a bedroom, the low setting is still way too bright.

3.) I very much like the prominent banner on the screen showing a voicemail but wish the missed call indicator was larger. Also, it seems as if you clear missed calls on one handset it doesn't clear them on the other?