Buzzing/Echoing (ooma to ooma)

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
George P.
Buzzing/Echoing (ooma to ooma)

Post by George P. » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:03 pm

I have been wracking my brain to solve this problem on my own...but here it goes.

I have an Ooma that I bought in 2013. I bought my dad an ooma (Telo 2) about a year ago. Things were fine when we called each other in the beginning. But in the last 4-5 months, I've been getting feedback in my earpiece that sounds like a buzzing or echo of my own voice. I've reset all the routers, modems, and even the Oomas. I thought that it might be the LED bulbs in my house causing RF interference...I turned them all off and made the call. Same result. So now I have just ordered a corded telephone from Amazon to experiment with thinking that my 5 year old Panasonic DECT 6.0 cordless phones may be the culprit (my dad uses a corded phone to talk to me). This problem only happens with I talk to my dad (Ooma to Ooma). It don'ts happened when I call others locally or to cell phones. If the corded phone I bought still has the strange feedback, then I don't know what to do. When I called Ooma about it when it first started, they said it may be related to an ISP issue (my dad has Comcast in CA and I have Cox in NV). Should I even think about buying a new Telo? (Are there new Telos coming out with new features? Should I wait? They were on sale for $49 recently.) Is it possible that after 6 years the device could start to falter and malfunction? I am going to call Ooma again on Monday after work and see if I can get it resolved...again. But I have feeling that this is just the way it's going to be. I pay for Premier on my phone and my dad's line as well. :/

To the forum: any advice on what to do next?

George

George P.

Re: Buzzing/Echoing (ooma to ooma)

Post by George P. » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:16 pm

PROBLEM MAY BE SOLVED!

POSSIBLE CUlPRIT: LED lightbulbs causing RF interference with the cordless phone signals. I've noticed the issue with LEDs in the garage door opener causing signal loss from the remote to the unit when the lights are on. I've noticed loss of the over the air antenna signals to my TiVo when the LED lightbulb pops on just under the Moher Leaf antenna on the wall. I am going to experiment tonight with turning off all the lights in the house before I make a call with the Ooma and cordless phone.. I've been slowly replacing all the lightbulbs in the house with LED (some fairly bright and large in size...thank you IKEA). I've read that they may be causing the disruptions on my calls to my dad on my Panasonic cordless phones. If not, then it may be time to replace the 6 year old Ooma unit.

Wish me luck!
George