Voicemails almost unintelligible!

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
quasiuumo
Voicemails almost unintelligible!

Post by quasiuumo » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:50 pm

I didn't see a topic quite like this one so I'm adding it.
Ooma Telo home is working well for us. We frequently use the Do Not Disturb feature (*78) which we are finding essential.
When DND is on, a call won't ring but goes right to voicemail. Unfortunately in almost all cases, the audio quality of the voicemail message is literally indecipherable. I would characterize it as the way a cheap radio sounds when you turn it all the way up past the point of maximum distortion. It occurs with all callers.
The audio prompts in the voicemail system are plenty clear and distinct. Also, messages recorded on our Panasonic home phone system are satisfactory in quality. So it would seem the distortion is occurring in the system somehow before it hits our personal Ooma box.
I don't know of any control or setting I can access to modify this. Any suggestions or help for me?
Best regards,
Tim S

newt1

Re: Voicemails almost unintelligible!

Post by newt1 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:09 am

I think there is a voice encoding (codec) translation problem. I get occasional calls from the local power company (PG&E) (I get a discount when I use less power on high energy days, so the call lets me know when it is one of those days). These calls used to be almost unintelligible. But this year, for some reason, they are very clear. I think PG&E must now be using some system that works better with Ooma's system.

What's funny is that Ooma's own phone menu system when you call them from an Ooma phone is highly distorted! I just tried calling it from my cell phone and it was very clear!

Hey Ooma support: you should at least fix your phone menu distortion. Try it yourself from an Ooma phone.