Dropped Calls

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
firemandude
Dropped Calls

Post by firemandude » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:24 am

When is the Dropped Call issue going to be addressed ? I see that there are multiple posts regarding this issue.

Alien

Re: Dropped Calls

Post by Alien » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:28 pm

Yes please! This is ridiculous!

skadmin

Post by skadmin » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:25 pm

So here is what is happening with my dropped calls, maybe it is similar.

Person calls, and calls will drop like clockwork at 10-15 secs.
They can call back but the same thing will happen.
If I take the call from the app it is fine.

This started happening consistently about 3 months ago.

I'm on fiber, ooma is behind the router. The ooma telo cpu isn't powerful enough to forward all of my traffic if I put it in front of the router.

firemandude

Post by firemandude » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:03 pm

I will be talking to someone for 5-10 mins and all of a sudden the line goes dead. I can call back right away and it will go dead again in less than a minute.

jbogema

Post by jbogema » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:05 am

Exact same problem. When I called for service, I was told to use the app. They gave me two months credit, but it will be disconnected after that if no better. So many people reporting this problem and no fixes. Meanwhile I get an email a day on new Ooma devices I should buy. More time, effort, and capital needs to just give us simple, consistent phone service.

Maineiac

Post by Maineiac » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:05 pm

Had great service for 2 years but over the past 6+ weeks we are constantly experiencing dropped calls like others. Reconnected everything, replaced cables -- no luck. Can't find any solutions on the Web or here. Will call Support when I can to request help but it sounds like this has not worked for others. Must consider changing VoIP providers, SOON!

doofus43

Post by doofus43 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:54 am

Same issue with incoming dropped calls! Had over 2 years with no problems. Unable to use line due to dropped calls after few minutes. Tried all the suggested fixes...MAC address change, Static IP, etc....didn't work! Hesitant to try new hardware and still have same problem!
Last edited by doofus43 on Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Beaches

Post by The Beaches » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:20 pm

Post the question on their social media page. That will get results.

random_ooma_user

Post by random_ooma_user » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:05 pm

In case anyone finds this helpful, I'm writing on behalf of my parents who have also been experiencing random dropped calls. Keep in mind that I'm not a VoIP expert. However, for context, a friend of mine is an experienced IT manager of many years who provided the following insight on this issue.

The upshot: VoIP is problematic by nature and there's likely not much Ooma per se can do to fix the problem.

I think the general assumption is that the technology Ooma uses — VoIP or Voice over IP — is established and reliable. The latter clearly doesn't seem to be the case. Unlike software-based call systems, like Zoom, FaceTime or the like, VoIP doesn't use the kind of protocols or buffering tech that lend themselves to protection against failures. VoIP is a stream of data across the internet (UDP) that can be easily disrupted; and when that happens, drops can occur. Great for speed, not so great for error checking. Said friend mentioned some companies have moved back to hardwired phone lines given the reliability issues with VoIP. If you're running a company, randomly dropped calls are terrible for customer service. For IT departments, that's a problem you don't want either.

If you still want to use Ooma, you need to remove as many potential pain points as possible (network and otherwise) to reduce data loss and impedance.

- VoIP and wireless are not great bedfellows (ironic given the Ooma Telo Air), so try to hardwire your Ooma Telo directly to your network.
- Remove as many hops as you can between your Ooma Telo and the internet in your internal network, ideally plugging directly into the modem (make sure your modem has a firewall for the sake of security).
- Forward any relevant ports (https://support.ooma.com/home/advanced- ... vice-ports).
- Make the changes to your Ooma Telo device / setup as mentioned in this post and others.
- Make sure the firmware for any relevant devices on your network are up to date.
- Be aware of any power fluctuations that might cause the Ooma Telo to power cycle, like a bad plug, power strip, or UPS.
- This is only speculation on my part, but line-splitting and third-party wireless handsets might also be an issue. At the very least, they're another communication variable that may introduce impedance.
- See other possibilities here: https://www.cloudtalk.io/blog/8-most-co ... o-fix-them