Ooma service issues

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
pete_c
Ooma service issues

Post by pete_c » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:59 am

I have used Ooma for many years now and it has been problem free.

Noticed in the last two weeks dropped calls, poor quality audio and Telo appears to just disconnect.

The Ooma line is connected to an alarm panel and the alarm panel keeps sending me alerts that the phone line is down.

I unplug and plug in the Ooma power supply and all is well until the next time this happens.

Is this due to my Telo hardware failing or is this an Ooma networking issue?
Pete
Automator

pete_c

Re: Ooma service issues

Post by pete_c » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:03 am

Update 3rd of August, 2019

All incoming calls today have dropped in the middle of a conversation. Goes from a disconnect to a fast busy signal.

Calling Ooma and opening a ticket today. Let's see the time to resolution.

So customer service person (very friendly) said to look for an email and either put the Ooma Telo in a DMZ or open ports up on my PFSense firewall which I typically do not do these days as I use VPN to access my home network. (automation, security, et al). Thinking that the Telo only talks outbound ports:

Ooma uses the following application ports for outbound data and voice traffic:
UDP 53, UDP 123, UDP 514, UDP 1194,UDP 3386, UDP 3480, UDP 10000-20000, TCP 53 and TCP 443.

There is no blocking of these outbound ports on my PFSense firewall such that it doesn't make sense that I would open inbound ports to the Telo box.

Current topology is XFinitity ISP ==> Surfboard GB cable modem ==> PFSense Firewall ==> managed switches

Ooma Telo WAN port ==> managed switch

I also utilize PFBlocker here. Will first put Ooma servers in the do not block list for PFSense.
Pete
Automator

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:57 am

The Telo uses vpn to connect to the server.
If their vpn and your vpn are using the same ports confusion will ensue

Their vpn needs direct access to the internet. It will not work if it gets routed through your vpn.

Is that cable modem actually a gateway (modem and router in the same box)?
Connect the Telo to the gateway and put the Telo in the gateway's DMZ.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

pete_c

Post by pete_c » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:58 am

Thank you Murphy.

Yes it is only inbound VPN that I use and I have used it over 10 years now. Been using Ooma now almost since the beginning of Ooma and PFSense now for over 10 years.

Never had an issue with the Ooma connection.

I have always purchased my own ISP modems and they started with Motorola Surfboard and today it is an Arris Gb Surfboard model SB6190. Never used any of the garbage combo stuff offered by ISP.

IE: using managed switches inside of the network and dedicated WAPs (Ruckus today).

Recently installed another Ooma box at mom's house (~ 90). This box also is used for the alarm stuff replacing the land line.

This is mostly related to an offsite NAS box.

Should the box disconnect then it will be a life saftey issue which is not a good thing. There I just replaced all of the XFinity boxes with a purchased SB6190 / PFSense firewall / managed 16 port switch / WAP.

Also just read a thread here relating to PFSense and Oooma.

hxxps://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3793

So will open following ports to Ooma box anyhow.

Inbound UDP
1194, 49000-50000

Outbound UDP

Noticed too that port 1194 is used for OpenVPN. Here always have used IPSec VPN (never OpenVPN).

Since my complaint and opening of ticket I have not had drops in incoming or outgoing calls and audio sounds fine.

So the issue is gone.
Pete
Automator