Ooma wants my ISP to set QOS. Is this possible?

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
agbiggs
Ooma wants my ISP to set QOS. Is this possible?

Post by agbiggs » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:42 pm

I'm having terrible call quality problems with my Telo 2 Air, pretty much no matter how I set it up. Ooma support tells me my ISP should set priority (I guess using QOS) for the Telo, but when I called my ISP they seem not to know what I'm talking about. They say there aren't really any settings like that for my modem. Does anyone understand what I'm being asked to do? (Ooma support said they'd email me a document with specs, but of course never did.)

murphy

Re: Ooma wants my ISP to set QOS. Is this possible?

Post by murphy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:07 pm

QOS settings are done in the router.
Do you have a separate modem and router or a Gateway that has a modem and router in the same box?

Run this test

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

It requires downloading and installing a helper application. It will test your internet connection. All of the reporting icons should be green. I used it to determine that my modem was discarding up to 17% of my upstream packets which meant anyone I was talking to heard a garbled mess.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

agbiggs

Post by agbiggs » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:26 pm

I thought QOS was in the router, but Ooma support was telling me differently. (I've variously hooked up the Telo before and after my router; at the time I talked to Ooma, it was before the router.) I have the Google mesh router, which only allows for short-term prioritization of a device (max 4 hours) and so it doesn't really have QOS.

But even using the routers prioritization, I'm still getting garbled sound using my Telo. Obviously SOMETHING is wrong, but no one at Ooma support seems to have a clue. None of them talk about any of the Telo settings, etc. It's reboot your system or call your ISP, neither of which is fixing the problem. Thanks!

agbiggs

Post by agbiggs » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:29 pm

My results on that test are ll in the green. Zero percent packet loss, etc. Any ideas appreciated!

ron5151

Post by ron5151 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:40 pm

I have the same issue. Speed test shows all green, but have garbled sound on the Ooma end. Any ideas appreciated.