Unacceptable Latency

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Larry248
Unacceptable Latency

Post by Larry248 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:12 am

Ever since I started using Ooma a few months ago, there has been an unacceptable latency of somewhere around 2 seconds on the sound. When I call a number with an automated greeting, The first couple of seconds are cut out. For example, when I call Ooma's customer service number, I hear "alling Ooma". When I have a phone conversation, there is 2 second or so lag in hearing what the other party is saying, and this makes discussions awkward with people talking over each other. I reported the problem over a week ago, and a few days later, I was sent a message stating that a new Telo device was being sent to me. It arrived today, but the problem has not been fixed. Is there any way to fix this problem, or should I start shopping for a different phone service provider?

Thank You

Larry

murphy

Re: Unacceptable Latency

Post by murphy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:49 am

Test your internet service.

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

All icons should be green.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Randysea

Re: Unacceptable Latency

Post by Randysea » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:38 pm

That is a very weird speedtest. It shows much worse in every category than any other online speedtest I've seen, including the one that OOMA tech (sort of) support asked me to run.

What I also noticed on the WhichVOIP site was this phrase: "VoIP jitter can be tolerated up to 20ms to 30 ms."

The OOMA tech insisted that my problem with connections breaking repeatedly for 5-10 seconds was because my jitter was 7ms, and it needed to be 5ms or less. Actually, my jitter was 4-5ms, but that's a story in another thread.