Incoming call intermittently not working.

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
tsrcanada
Incoming call intermittently not working.

Post by tsrcanada » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:26 am

I am using ooma business for approx 2+ years.
Recently for last few weeks I have received many emails from my client our phone is not working.
And experienced many dropped calls during the conversation myself.

I know it's not the right time due to Corona but ooma doesn't even answer the phone nor live chat
was just waste of my time.

I will look into it and will switch the service.

elaw

Re: Incoming call intermittently not working.

Post by elaw » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:23 am

I know this doesn't help much but I've been having a similar problem for about a month and a half.

Callers hear only ringing (well past when call block messages or voicemail should have kicked in) and if we pick up we hear only static (and the caller continues to hear ringing).

Ooma chat wants to blame it on my firewall which is BS as the firewall config has not changed in over a year. And the problem doesn't happen all the time which also points against a firewall issue.

I've tried everything... rebooting internet connection (though there was no other indication of a problem with it, even ran a speed test while the problem was happening), power-cycling the telo, connecting phone directly to the telo... nothing works.

I often don't get the opportunity to look at the telo itself when the problem pops up but at least once I did and the logo in the middle was lit up red. I power-cycled it and it still lit up red. Have you noticed if yours is doing the same?

Edit: I looked around the forum a little more and found some others that seem to be having the same problem - look at the last two posts in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12316&sid=d15d4012f ... 9&start=20

I've seen a few references to checking the firmware version on the telo but I have no idea how to do that... does anyone here know? Our telo is ancient... I can't recall exactly but we've had it for many years.

I should also mention this is the only quality issue we've had with ooma... I see other posts here about poor voice quality or dropped calls, we've never had those problems.

Oh one more edit, and possibly the weirdest thing: the incoming calls that don't go through, do not appear in the call log! My employer called me today around 1:30, the problem happened, and there's no record of the call in the log. They called again around 3:00, the problem did not happen, and that call did appear in the log.

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:30 pm

Check the Telo firmware version.

Dial the following sequence and the firmware version will be spoken over the Telo speaker.

*#*#001 - Speak the current Telo Version

It can also be found by connecting to the setup web pages that are located inside of the Telo.

http://setup.ooma.com or http://172.27.35.1

The computer must be connected to the Telo Home jack and if the computer has wireless capability it must be disabled.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

elaw

Post by elaw » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:59 am

Wow... you've got to be quick to do the voice thing... it speaks the minute you hit the last button and only says it once!

It looks like my fw version is 240828 - do you know what that means, and how to fix it if it's out of date?

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:20 am

viewforum.php?f=10&sid=9c1796b5226da746197cedba79f52f15

That is the version that is on my Telo 1. It is apparently the last version for the Telo 1 since it was released in October 2017. My Telo 2 is at 450992.

elaw

Post by elaw » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:47 am

For what it's worth... I was poking around the Ooma site and noticed they have Telos on sale for $50. Mine was out of warranty in 2013 so clearly it's ancient, so I just ordered a new one. I'll report back on whether it fixes the problem!

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:47 am

Do not activate the new Telo.
Contact support and have them swap the new one for the old one unless you want a new account and phone number.

elaw

Post by elaw » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:08 am

Yeah I did that... it was a bit of a nightmare because Ooma was not working and my cellphone gets a crummy signal at my house. I had to tell the lady the activation code 9 times and I'm still not sure she got it right. And now it's going to take up to 48 hours to get the new Telo online.

But in the meantime there's been an interesting development. The old Telo had quit working completely - when I power-cycled it, only the icon on the top that looks like a speaker would light up. I looked at it more closely and the icon seemed to be flickering, at which point I thought it might be a power problem. So I took the AC adapter from the new Telo, hooked it to the old one, and in very limited testing it appears to be working!

The original problem was intermittent so I'm not ready to declare total success, but it seems possible all my trouble was due to a failed AC adapter.

Uncle_Eddy

Post by Uncle_Eddy » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:43 pm

Hi elaw, and update to this situation? Your description is almost identical to what we are experiencing, OOMA has worked flawlessly for 6+ years, and lately started acting up.

I will try rebooting and check the electrical connection, but appreciate any further info you have.

Cheers,
Uncle Eddy

elaw

Post by elaw » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:23 am

Yes!

I bought a new Telo and the problem has completely disappeared.

I think it actually may have been the AC adapter on the old Telo, as I swapped it from another one and the Telo seemed to work better. But by that point I'd already ordered the new one so when the new one arrived I just started using it.