4G Telo Adapter problems (aka Phone Genie, 4GLTE))

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
j0293
4G Telo Adapter problems (aka Phone Genie, 4GLTE))

Post by j0293 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:55 pm

First: a suggestion for the moderator. It could be useful to have a separate forum index for 4G Telo Call Quality. In this “Call Quality” forum, searches with posts for 4G, 4GLTE or Genie do not show any posts.

Problem. I have a 4G Telo adapter up and working, with a constant blue light showing "excellent" 4G LTE reception. I have a corded phone connected directly to the telo. Most of the time, the phone calls are fine in both directions. Occasionally the person on the other end (who has a telo, a corded phone, and a high speed internet connection) says that he can't hear (voice is garbled or totally fades). Presumably this is due to a slow upload speed from the 4G adapter to the Sprint cell tower. If there is a solution to the problem, it probably involves finding a better location for the 4G adapter.

A FAQ says "You can use the signal indicator in the Base Station Setup app to find a good spot with a strong 4G signal. Simply move the Telo 4G Adapter and wait for approximately 10 seconds." That is discussing the smart phone setup app. That app is showing a signal strength of -84 db. ("excellent"). The detailed information is sinr (4), Rssi (-58), Rsrq (-14.0), and Rrsp ( -84). In trying to find a better location, should I pay attention to anything other than signal strength value? Which values should I be trying to change, and in which direction? Should I test the signal strength while an active phone call is being made, or is that irrelevant?

Thanks!