Clicking sound with Plantronics M22 Headset Amplifier

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
foxhills
Clicking sound with Plantronics M22 Headset Amplifier

Post by foxhills » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:30 pm

My Ooma box is around 7 years old and works fine, except as described below.

I have a generic headset with microphone. It is connected to switching system with which I can connect the headset to a old Northwestern Bell telephone through a Plantronics M22 headphone amplfier, a desktop computer, a laptop comupter, and a smart phone, through a headset wire. I can switch the phone between the Ooma box and an AT&T land line. I use the land line for local calls, and Ooma, for long distance.

The headset and microphone work fine with all these devices except my Ooma box. That includes the phone connected to the land line.

When using Ooma, I get a very annoying random clicking noise. I would like to drop the land line and do all my phone calls through Ooma. However with Ooma, I have this clicking noise. With the land line I get connections with no problems, except for an ocassional hum that comes and goes after large rains.

I have tried different headsets. The problem does not change.

The clicking sound also occurs with the phone handset.

The problem goes away when I disconnect the Plantronics M22 amplifier between the handset and phone. But without the amplifier, I cannot use my headset.

There seems to be some incompatibility between the M22 and the Ooma box. Because the amplifier works fine with AT&T, I am inclined to point the finger at Ooma.

I have not found any posts stating this problem.

I would like a working Ooma connection without the clicking sound so I could drop my AT&T line.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Why is this happening? Is there any possibility that newer Ooma boxes have fixed this problem? Would the same problem happen with my Arris TM822 modem and Spectrum VoIP? Should I forget about using the Plantronics amplifier with Ooma? I could call over my smart phone but I don't want to have to connect and disconnect wire for every call. Replacing Ooma with long distance on my land line contradicts my goal of cutting cords with AT&T.

murphy

Re: Clicking sound with Plantronics M22 Headset Amplifier

Post by murphy » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:32 am

Does the Plantronics amplifier have its own power supply or is it stealing power from the phone line? If the latter is true, that is the source of the clicking. The Telo was not designed to be a power supply for anything else.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

foxhills

Post by foxhills » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:52 am

Two 1.5 V AA batteries power the amplifier. I checked them, and mine were slightly weak. While I had the batteries out, I tried using the amplifier. It didn't work.

I replaced the batteries. I will see if the new batteries make any difference.

foxhills

Post by foxhills » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:00 pm

After replacing the batteries, the clicks went way Friday afternoon. Replacing the batteries seemed to make a difference.

That evening during a call I heard some clicks again.

But today one call went fine.

Would a slightly weak battery drain power from the Telo and cause clicks?

I have ordered an AC adapter on Ebay to see if AC power makes any difference.

Am I the only person using a Plantronics M22 with Ooma?

foxhills

Post by foxhills » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:59 pm

I purchased a second Plantronics M22 Vista headset amplifier.

It worked just like my first one, bad clicking unusuable with my Ooma Telo.