International calls drop after two hours

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Robek
International calls drop after two hours

Post by Robek » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:27 pm

Most of my phone calls are shorter than two hours, so it took me a while to notice a pattern, but over the last year, any international calls lasting longer than that have consistently dropped without warning, after almost exactly two hours, (give or take a few seconds). Starting last month though, they started dropping after four hours, instead of two, so that's an improvement. I only had one domestic call that lasted over two hours over the last year, and it didn't drop unexpectedly, but a sample size of one is not really a pattern.

The behavior is predictable enough, and the duration non-random enough to suggest there's a specific explanation. I confirmed that my prepaid account still had a positive balance, so that's not the reason. I don't think that either of my handsets (an HD3, or an old 900 MHz cordless phone) are causing the dropped calls, because I'm still able to use either one to redial the number, and re-establish the call.

I would appreciate any explanations, suggestions, workarounds, or any other helpful comments.

Thanks,

murphy

Re: International calls drop after two hours

Post by murphy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:24 am

How long of a DHCP lease does your router provide? Renewal happens at the 50% point in the lease time. Lease renewal is supposed to get the same IP address but if the IP address changes the call could not continue.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Robek

Re: International calls drop after two hours

Post by Robek » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:02 am

The router DHCP lease time is 1440 minutes, (or 24 hours). I'm not sure how the DHCP lease start/end times would correlate with the start/end time of a call though.

Thanks,