speakerphone quality on HD3 handsets

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
autchologios
speakerphone quality on HD3 handsets

Post by autchologios » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:10 am

Does anyone else still have poor speakerphone quality (incoming audio only) when using the HD3 handsets and/or know if there is a way to improve this issue?

I bought an Ooma system for my elderly parents which came with two HD3 handsets. Overall the system works well and I don't think there is any problem with actual transmission quality of the call audio. However, I noticed immediately that the incoming call audio when in speakerphone mode is extremely poor as I was setting up the phone, almost like some compression is added (i.e. garbled speech) and also intermittent and very short drop outs of audio. This seems to be a persistent problem with my parents since they complain that it is very hard to understand people on the phone but the microphone seems to pick up voice on their end just fine. Furthermore, the problem completely goes away using the handsets with audio going into the earpiece of the handsets. My parents absolutely need to use speakerphone mode however due to use of hearing aids.

This seems to be a problem that has even been persistent since the HD2 handsets. I have found a few posts related to this same exact issue but there doesn't seem to be much of a resolution to the problem, even for those who have replaced their handsets entirely with new Ooma handsets. I find it a bit hard to believe that even a really crappy speaker in the handset is the source of the problem since it seems to be more to due with added compression to the incoming audio. I think it likely points to firmware/hardware which is responsible for porting audio to the handset's speakerphone.

I am just trying to avoid having to buy another handset like a Panasonic so that they can actually use a decent speakerphone. Seems like a waste when the system already came with two handsets.