loud squeaks and gibberish only on incoming calls

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
ianlin
loud squeaks and gibberish only on incoming calls

Post by ianlin » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:30 am

I have the old Hub and Scout set up. Worked fine for years. Have not made any changes to any settings to Ooma or internet service.
Recently, when I pick up an incoming call, all I hear are loud squeaks and gibberish (not the way static sounds). The caller can hear me just fine, but incomprehensible noise on my end. Even more strange, outgoing calls have no problems! No noises, nice clear voice both sides of the call. I have not made any firewall changes. Besides, if firewall were somehow blocking incoming packets, the problem should show up for both incoming and outgoing calls, not just incoming calls.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

rcapuppy

Re: loud squeaks and gibberish only on incoming calls

Post by rcapuppy » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:34 am

This is happening to me too, on incoming calls. The persons voice is all garbled. At first it was intermittent, now it is all the time. I had to forward all calls to my cellphone, which works fine. I have factory rebooted the Ooma Hub, rebooted router and modem, tried altering QOS on my router and also routed the Ooma Hub directly to the Modem. To see if my wireless phone (DEC) worked, I also tried an old princess wired phone. Nothing worked. Did Ooma Corp do something? I am with Spectrum in Tampa Bay.

Forgot to add, I can call out using the Hub and everything works great.

UPDATE! I called Ooma Customer Service and they fixed it at their end!!! So all is well now!!

makcalls

Post by makcalls » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:04 am

I've had the same issue as well with my old Hub and Scout. I called Ooma today and, after some runaround with the frontline reps, ended up with a next tier level rep who identified it as a known issue. He made some quick changes on his end and then successfully placed a test phone call.

Glad to hear it wasn't just me.

andyross

Post by andyross » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:06 am

Sounds like they may have been using some compression routine that older models don't properly support...

java007md

Post by java007md » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:10 pm

Exactly the same experience here with my 2009 original hub. Incoming calls were intermittently gibberish, squeaks, and noise for weeks, but now it has become constant.

Customer service tier one started me on the expected reset, power down, etc., path but since I was calling through an ooma connected phone, and had already factory reset the ooma a couple of times already, CSR agreed to move me to the tier 2 queue. Worked with Angel at tier 2 to try three different fixes (three different codecs I think), but unfortunately the problem persists.

The ticket remains open, so hopefully another tier 2 or higher tech/engineer will engage to try to resolve.

The device lights appear fine - blue light is on and the line lights are off unless in use. Outgoing calls are still working fine.

Would really like to get the device back to full operational state and maintain the original grandfathered plan. We are paying for the premium add on to enable call blocking, so ooma is getting a regular revenue stream from us already.

rlhilner

Post by rlhilner » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:48 pm

EXACT same problem with mine also, was intermittent for a while then a couple days ago started all the time. After all the reboots, trying other phones, speed tests, etc, I was attempting to access the setup page to check QoS settings and can't even do that, the page will only display HTML code. But after learning other hub owners are having the same problem and in the same time frame it is obvious the issue is on the Ooma end and not the users equipment.
Are they forcing us to trash our hub units and buy the Telo units ?

Bljackson

Post by Bljackson » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:08 pm

Having the same issue with the original Ooma Hub. Was intermittent last week, now occurring with every incoming call. Outgoing calls are fine. Haven’t contacted Ooma support yet but will.

birdallen

Post by birdallen » Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:47 am

Using the Ooma Hub as well. Same issue, tried many different things (eg. qos, how connected to the network, etc), but no go. I don't think replacing the Hub with a used one or other Hub will work. Note, while trying different things, sometimes the incoming call would work the first time, then no more.

ideallife2day

Post by ideallife2day » Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:19 pm

This is the same exact problem my parent's ooma is having since around mid March too. Incoming calls sound like a robot and makes weird noise. When I call my mom, I can hear her but she just hears noise. Outgoing calls are fine. I have tried resetting the unit multiple times by unplugging everything. I tried to change out the cables and phones and it still does the same thing. They are using an original unit from 2009 but it sounds like others have the same problem and it may be on ooma's side of things. I'm glad others have posted about this problem, hopefully when I can get over to their house and call into customer service, I'll get someone who can solve this issue without too much fuss.

cheval

Post by cheval » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:08 pm

Same thing here. Been going on for a few weeks but is getting worse. Looks like I'll have to call them up when I get a chance.

ETA Also on the old 2009 OOMA hub