Poor outgoing voice quality

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
bondedVDSLSWMO
Poor outgoing voice quality

Post by bondedVDSLSWMO » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:24 am

I am having an issue with both Ooma Telo and Ooma app on an Android 12 phone. Outgoing voice quality is choppy and regularly cuts out for a few seconds at a time. I think this may be an issue with Ooma's server or my connection to Ooma's server.

I had Vonage before moving to Ooma and Vonage never had any quality issues when I was using 10/1Mbps DSL service. I am currently on 30/1.8Mbps bonded DSL service with the Ooma.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

EDIT: I have tried setting QoS in Ooma telo to 384kbps. Ooma Telo is not between router & modem. I have also disabled DECT within the Ooma telo. I have moved the Telo away from the gateway into another room. I have moved the landline handset base station to 5' from The telo. The telo connects to the network with cat5e and the landline connects using standard 10' long phone cord.

Robek

Re: Poor outgoing voice quality

Post by Robek » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:40 pm

The placement of the Telo and telephone usually only matters when something is wireless (wi-fi, bluetooth, cordless handset, etc.). Try testing hard-wired from end-to-end first, if possible, before introducing any wireless components. The cat5e cable should be 100 meters or less, and in good condition.

Run an Internet Speed Test to check the ISP quality; temporarily disconnect other devices from the modem or router, (or at least make sure they're idle). Jitter should be less than 5ms, but anything less than 20-30ms is usually tolerable. Also check the Telo Call statistics for lost packets, excessive jitter, latency, etc.

The Telo can act as an IP router between two different networks, an "external" network supporting higher-bandwidth devices (> 100 Mbps), and an "internal" network for lower-bandwidth devices (< 100 Mbps). For example:
  • "external" network (IP: 192.168.1.xxx): modem <--> router <--> Telo INTERNET port
  • "internal" network (IP: 172.27.35.xxx): Telo HOME port <--> switch <--> devices
The Telo QoS only affects the "internal" network, by throttling traffic through the Telo HOME port. If this port is not in use, then just leave the QoS at '0', to disable it. Otherwise, subtract about 15-20% from the measured upload speed, (1,800 kbps?); if the result is between 384-10,000 kbps, then set the QoS to that.

If the "external" network includes a router (between the modem and Telo INTERNET port), then check whether it has its own QoS settings; if so, then consult the router documentation for how to configure it. Otherwise, temporarily connect the modem directly to the Telo INTERNET port, to test whether that helps.

For the cell phone, try testing the Ooma app with wi-fi enabled (using the home internet), first disabling any other nearby wi-fi devices, including any wi-fi repeaters, and any other devices that might cause interference, such as microwave ovens or baby monitors. Be sure to test in a location with a strong wi-fi signal.

Then try testing the Ooma app again, with wi-fi disabled (using the cell's data plan), in a location with a strong cell signal, to determine whether that works any better.

If none of the above helps narrow down the cause of the poor voice quality, then try contacting Ooma's customer support to check for any problems on their end.

bondedVDSLSWMO

Re: Poor outgoing voice quality

Post by bondedVDSLSWMO » Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:16 pm

Run an Internet Speed Test to check the ISP quality; temporarily disconnect other devices from the modem or router, (or at least make sure they're idle). Jitter should be less than 5ms, but anything less than 20-30ms is usually tolerable. Also check the Telo Call statistics for lost packets, excessive jitter, latency, etc.
Jitter is usually around 5ms. Latency to the Ooma california servers is 100ms+. I have no packet loss issues.
If the "external" network includes a router (between the modem and Telo INTERNET port), then check whether it has its own QoS settings; if so, then consult the router documentation for how to configure it. Otherwise, temporarily connect the modem directly to the Telo INTERNET port, to test whether that helps.
The DSL gateway is both modem and router. The Telo is hardwired to the with cat5e. The gateway QoS has been set such that the Telo is the only high priority (in and out) device on the network. no other device is prioritized.
For the cell phone, try testing the Ooma app with wi-fi enabled (using the home internet), first disabling any other nearby wi-fi devices, including any wi-fi repeaters, and any other devices that might cause interference, such as microwave ovens or baby monitors. Be sure to test in a location with a strong wi-fi signal.
The app used only for wifi calls in the house on a very strong WiFi6 connection about 15' away with no walls. Exact same voice quality issue as using landlines through Telo.
If none of the above helps narrow down the cause of the poor voice quality, then try contacting Ooma's customer support to check for any problems on their end.
I did call customer support and ask to switch to the east coast servers as I realized all the IPs Ooma was using were in California. They switched me to East coast servers and problem was gone.

The problem is the change reverts back after a day or two. Have called multiple times for them to switch back to East coast servers and it works until system reverts back to west coast.