Poor outgoing quality, choppy incoming quality, cannot leave voice messages

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
HenkSB
Poor outgoing quality, choppy incoming quality, cannot leave voice messages

Post by HenkSB » Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:21 pm

I just set up my Ooma device this morning and have many problems not just the quality. I call from my Galaxy Tab A. I have no cell phone or land line telephone set. Here are my questions:

1) While leaving a message to the person I called, I got interrupted within a minute by a voice message that there was no sound and/or there was a poor connection. The machine hung up. My internet connection is not the problem for sure, I have a brand new modem/router, and very good cable. What is the problem?

2) I heard from 2 callers that the volume of my outgoing calls is too low. How can I adjust it? I never have these problems when using WhatsApp on the same device.

3) When I had the app running on my tablet and got a phone call, it gave me a clear sound and an animated screen but no matter what I pressed or swiped, the app did not let me respond and kept playing the jingle with the screen up. How can I respond to an incoming call, what do I need to do? This should be clearer and easier to use.

4) When I did not have the app up and my son called me, I did not hear the jingle but just a beep notification that a message had been left. Must the app be constantly on to be able to respond to an incoming phone call?

5) How can I make Ooma phone calls from my Windows laptop? I would expect that the most important computer systems would all be supported, but so far it looks like only mobile devices are supported.

6) When I called the Ooma help line, the sound was very choppy while the automated assistant talked. The other two phone calls I made were OK. Is this a problem with your automated response system?

7) My router has trouble staying connected when I power cycle the system (Ooma and the router). It looks like Ooma interferes with my internet connectivity. Is that normal?

8) The Ooma startup after power cycling takes very long, almost 5 minutes. Is that normal?

9) Your help line left me waiting forever without telling me how many customers are ahead of me. After a half hour I hung up. What is the best way to get support?

10) Your online chat support is poor. They simply hang up when they want to move on, sometimes not even asking if everything has been addressed. One example is where the attendant asked if I had tried power cycling the Telo, and the router (which of course terminates the chat conversation). Then the support person just closed the conversation. Are your support representatives overworked?

At this point I am reluctant to make phone calls because I don't want to annoy my friends with testing the Ooma Telo. Can you ensure me that the Telo is a good device, or should I move on? So far, the experience has been way below expectation and I am tempted to return it.

Robek

Re: Poor outgoing quality, choppy incoming quality, cannot leave voice messages

Post by Robek » Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:46 pm

1, 2) The tablet may provide its own "settings" app to adjust the input volume for any audio devices connected to it.

3) A tablet is not a smart phone. Some headsets offer built-in controls to answer calls, or hang up, but that may also require software support from whatever device drivers the tablet has installed.

4) Yes, the phone app must be running in order to announce incoming phone calls.

5) A Windows laptop is not a smart phone. Ooma only offers an app for Apple iOS and Android devices.

9) For other ways to contact Ooma, see: https://www.ooma.com/contact/