Advanced settings?

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
sciencemagic
Advanced settings?

Post by sciencemagic » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:01 am

Can someone explain to me what the advanced settings should be with ooma. I'm looking at my advanced settings on the set up page and I don't know they should be. What would be the optimum setting in the various categories that are listed that link? Can someone help, or explain what I should should be seeing in that advanced set up page? Thank you.

Robek

Re: Advanced settings?

Post by Robek » Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:13 pm

The explanation below describes the current Telo 2 settings; older devices such as the first generation Telo or Ooma Hub may have different settings. The (?) next to the 'Advanced Settings' title links to a help page that describes most of the settings in more detail.

The 'Quality of Service' limits the network bandwidth for devices connected to the HOME port, during a phone call. If the HOME port is not in use, or if the internet upstream speed is greater than 10 Mbps, then just leave QoS at 0. Otherwise, consult the documentation for more detailed instructions about how to set it.

The 'Advanced Network Interface settings' lets the Telo sort its interface connections ('Modem', 'Wired', and 'Wifi') from highest to lowest priority. The documentation doesn't describe the interface types beyond that. Put any unconnected interfaces last, and sort the rest by preferred order of importance.

The 'Minimum Fall-back Dwell' is undocumented, so the cautious thing to do is just leave that one alone; the default value is currently 3600 seconds. It probably has something to do with maintaining or re-establishing connections between the Telo and the Ooma servers.

The 'Remote Administration' provides more convenient access to the Telo device settings website, through the INTERNET port. If the HOME port is not normally in use, then check this option, and consider also setting the 'Password Protected Area', to limit access to the Telo device settings.

The 'Port Forwarding' rules affect certain applications running on devices connected through the Telo HOME port. If the HOME port is not in use, or if no applications require port forwarding, then don't create any rules for them. Otherwise, consult any application-specific documentation for how to configure any rules.

sciencemagic

Post by sciencemagic » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:33 pm

Hi Robek,

Thank you for your reply, once again appreciated. I went though the telo advance settings as you show in your reply. Being my upload speed is 21Mbps, the Qos should be set at 0. I got that wrong from the info I saw. I had mine at 10,000 the max limit. It's now at 0. The 'Advanced Network Interface settings I left alone. I just know my modem is the only think connected to my ooma device, not sure if I should mess with that settings? Minimum Fall-back Dwell' I left at 3600. 'Port Forwarding I also left alone I didn't need to create any new rules I believe. I didn't a clarification for connect wait time. What should it be set to? Mine I set at 70. Should I change that? Appreciate your help. Thank you, Robek

Robek

Post by Robek » Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:05 pm

The 'Connect Wait Time' specifies how long to wait for a wifi connection. If the Telo doesn't use wifi, then there is no need to change that setting, (or the 'Advanced Network Interface settings' either). In this case, the 'Quality of Service' is the only setting in the Advanced submenu that is likely to affect VoIP quality.

sciencemagic

Post by sciencemagic » Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:59 am

Hi Robek, thank you for your reply. Your comment "In this case, the 'Quality of Service' is the only setting in the Advanced submenu that is likely to affect VoIP quality." I have set my Qos to 0. It seems my Mbps of 22 is above the limits for telo? So, is a Qos setting of 0 recommended? Thank you. Robek.

Robek

Post by Robek » Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:56 pm

If the internet upstream speed is 22 Mbps, then Ooma recommends disabling QoS, by setting it to 0. Enabling QoS wouldn't hurt VoIP traffic at all, but it would reduce the remaining bandwidth allocated for any devices connected to the HOME port to less than 10 Mbps, so at least 12 Mbps would go unused.

sciencemagic

Post by sciencemagic » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:19 am

Hi Robek,

Thank you for your reply. Understand your comment about the Qos setting. Just about every time I check my internet speed it shows 20-22 Mbps upload speed. So, I take your suggestion and it is now set for 0. Sort of confused about the ooma upload speed test though. At times it shows the results I see from ookla speed test, 21.9 Mbps and then at times it shows 0? Any explanation, Robek? Thank you once again your help is much appreciated!