Choppy Robotic Voice; Poor Call Quality

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
eapples
Choppy Robotic Voice; Poor Call Quality

Post by eapples » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:19 pm

Hello:
My Ooma Telo is connected wirelessly.

I've been experiencing increased poor call quality -- choppy voice, robotic voice.

I complained Ooma, and I was told that the problem is with my internet service provider. I hesitate to complain to my ISP (Spectrum) because Spectrum offers phone service, and I don't think that Spectrum would help me using a competitor's service.

I'm seriously thinking about dropping Ooma. I never had the choppy robotic voice problems when I had Spectrum's phone service. I don't understand that since I'm using the same internet service, and the phone service shouldn't make a difference.

Full Disclosure -- I'm a technology dinosaur. So, if you care to offer an opinion or a suggestion, please do it in crayon so that I'll be able to understand it.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Robek

Re: Choppy Robotic Voice; Poor Call Quality

Post by Robek » Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:18 pm

The first thing to test is a wired connection between Telo and router, to either confirm or rule out issues with the wi-fi, such as a poor signal, or too much traffic or noise. If that resolves the poor call quality, then troubleshoot the wi-fi issues, by turning nearby electronic devices on and off, moving them around, etc.

Then check the Telo's web ui Tools -> Call Statistics. The packet loss ("Real Loss") should be small, relative to packets received ("Rx") or transmitted ("Tx"). The jitter should be mostly less than 20-30 ms, and the round-trip ("XC") latency should be less than 100 ms. The Mean opinion Score ("MoS") should be at least 4.00.