Jitter, how to get rid of it

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
dloj333
Jitter, how to get rid of it

Post by dloj333 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:41 am

So am I just supposed to put up with jitter?, which I can't control, or can I? Anybody have any ideas?

martyb

Re: Jitter, how to get rid of it

Post by martyb » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:55 pm

Can you describe the jitter sound you're getting? Is it all the time? Does it affect the quality of the voice your connected parties hear, or is just impacting what you hear?

Are you on cable? Do you have a home network in use? Is it possible that network traffic is impacting your call quality? I had some quality issues a month or so after installing ooma, and ooma's tech experts help me discover that my upload speed with my cable ISP wasn't working correctly. One thing that helped with my ten year old cable modem was to occasionally (every couple of weeks) disconnect and then reconnect it.

dloj333

Re: Jitter, how to get rid of it

Post by dloj333 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:46 pm

Thanks for the reply. I a cable ISP TW and a network behind it. No hubs just 2 Gig switches and 2 100M routers. I do have an old TJ715 CAble modem I have had for 3 years.
The problem shows up as people cannot hear me, I drop. Most of the time this happens around 6 PM PST, heavy traffic, huh. It does happen other times though too.
I wonder if I can get TW to replace it?