OOMA and RoadRuner

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Paul
OOMA and RoadRuner

Post by Paul » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:29 am

I'm wondering if anyone has gotten Ooma to work properly in New York City with Time Warner Cable. I've got a Turbo connection (20 mbps down/1 mbps up). The setup is standard, as described in the Ooma manual: cable modem (RCA DCM425, the latest one TWC offers, came out in Sept 2008), is wired to the Ooma hub and then wired to my router (SMC 7004 VBR) and wired (no -wireless here) to my two home computers.

What I have found is that if the QoS settings for Ooma are set to 0 up and 0 down, net speed (measured at three different web sites, one being TWC's own recommended site) is normal - varying with the time of day and net conditions, of course - at ~23,000 kbps and lower for down and around 970 kbps up. Very acceptable.

However, as I begin to raise the QoS values to 128 up/128 down or higher, net speed (measured on these sites) drops by 95% or more for both up and down WHEN THE PHONE IS BEING USED. If the phone remains on the hook, speed drops by ~5 - 10%, varying with the time of day.

Why not leave the QoS at 0/0 then? Because it's necessary in order to overcome the defects in the phone voice quality, ie., echoing, voice distortion - hoarseness, and most annoying a half-duplex effect where the moment I stop speaking it sounds as if the connection has been dropped.
Voice quality only really becomes acceptable when the QoS is set for at least 384 up / 768 down. Of course, at these settings you can't use the Internet when the phone is in use. Kinda defeats the purpose of Ooma, doesn't it?

Ooma tech support is baffled. They've queried the Ooma from their location and they say everything is working fine. FINE? No, it's not!
I'm hoping they'll rush me a replacement hub to see if it's their equipment.
I've called Time Warner Cable tech support and while they say they've never heard of Ooma, they claim their modem should work with most third party equipment.

I know it's not my router that's the problem since I connected one computer directly into the Ooma home port and found the same situation - fine when the phone is off the hook, no good when it's in use.

So, does anyone out there have a NYC RoadRunner Turbo connection that's working properly with Ooma and what did you have to do to get it to work?

Thanks.

sioomauser

Re: OOMA and RoadRuner

Post by sioomauser » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:57 pm

Hey I'm on Roadrunner on Staten Island. I'm not experiencing any problems that you describe. I keep my upstream at 420 and my downstream at zero. Not sure if that will help your situation but it works without an issue for me.