Strange international calling behavior

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
tjkendo
Strange international calling behavior

Post by tjkendo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:05 pm

I just have my ooma hub installed for less a week, it works fine for calls within US but my wife is experiencing strange things on international calls. When she called her brother in Taiwan, they can hear each other perfectly fine; but when she called her mom (in Taiwan as well), her mom couldn't hear her talking while she could hear her mom clearly. She has tried that for several times in two, three days and it has always been like this. But when she used Skype to call her mom, everything was working fine.

The lines she called her mom and her brother are both regular landlines; really have no clue how this could happen.

Jason

atici

Re: Strange international calling behavior

Post by atici » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:32 pm

This happens to me sometimes too. It is irrelevant from the country. It happened when calling Canada, Turkey. I can hear the other side well but the other side can't hear me. This happens maybe 25% of the international calls I placed. I contacted ooma support but they couldn't resolve the issue really. I think the problem is where ooma gateway connects to the carrier used for the international call.

Securix

Post by Securix » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:18 pm

This has been happening a lot lately. We specifically call Italy.

My aunt recently passed and we were trying to get in touch with the family. We dialed their number several times, probably about 4 times. Their phone would ring, they would answer...we could hear them, but they could not hear us. By the 4th time they were noticeably upset (the situation nonwithstanding) so we ended up calling via our regular Verizon landline and paid for it.

Later that day we called another relative in another region of Italy and the connection was fine.

About a week or so later we tried the first relatives, and this time they could hear us.

Unrelated issue, but today I was on a conference bridge via a toll-free 877 line. Sometime during the call, I got forcibly disconnected. When I tried dialing the number again, I got a fast-busy. When I tried the regular Verizon line, I got through. I then tried the equivalent toll call version of the conference bridge, Area Code 617, and got through fine on the Ooma.

Strange.

chefnee

Post by chefnee » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:20 am

I'm not sure, but I'm experiencing this "strange behavior" also. I have family in Laos. Previously, I've used calling cards and even skype and the calls get connected fine. But I've only have own the Ooma hub for less than a week and when I connect they can't hear me. My family overseas had two lines, I called both of their number and both couldn't hear me. Then my wife called her family, they have a cell number, and it connected fine. She later told me that after a certain number of minutes (30 mins) her recipient couldn't hear her. Weird.

jng

Post by jng » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:02 am

This happened to me over the weekend - I called Canada and I could hear the person on the other side but they could not hear me. I tried calling back about four times until it worked. Has ooma addressed this issue at all? On the other hand, I've had no problems making calls to US numbers. This is proving to be a little unreliable for calling non-domestic numbers.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:45 am

I'd report each one of these international calling issues to ooma support (noting the called number and the approx. date/time of the call). Sometime we can change the way a particular call is routed to an international destination that will correct or improve some of these issues.
Bobby B

JWindsor

Post by JWindsor » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:25 am

Just to add to the string, my wife regularly has problems calling Switzerland. This morning, she tried four times, with the same futile results others are having (she can hear them, they can't hear her), and finally used her mobile phone instead.

As suggested, I'll report this to Support. But given how far back this thread stretches, it's disappointing that there are still problems (and no official word on why this happens).

pavlov0032

Post by pavlov0032 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:46 am

I have that too calling Russia, 50% of time they don't hear me. OOMA tech gave me response "we investigated, data is going in both directions and its not out problem"

jng

Post by jng » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:20 am

As suggested by Bobby B, I've reported this to Support but have not heard anything back yet.

JWindsor

Post by JWindsor » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:04 pm

Same for me. I reported our problem almost three weeks ago. Still no reply.

Ooma -- What's up?