Cannot make out going phone calls

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
vinu
Cannot make out going phone calls

Post by vinu » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:56 am

I just installed Ooma, it works fine, except one big problem, I can make few out going calls for few numbers and few other numbers, as soon as I dial numbers it just givee me engaged tone

I have two mobile numbers, I can make to one cell fone and I cant make to another one, I used 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx in front of the number also but it didnt help.

any advise??

lszyjka

Re: Cannot make out going phone calls

Post by lszyjka » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:09 pm

I am having the same exact issue. I tried rebooting ooma hub but with no luck. I just can’t make calls to local numbers even thou I can call my cell, which has the same area code or my local Vonage number and all goes through. Calling my mom, in the same area code, actual landline gets the fast busy signal.

Very frustrating, called ooma Customer service and after 23 min on hold got the Please leave your number message and the system hung up on me.

I do not have a local phone service, just cable connection.

Anybody got any fix on the busy signal issue?

Update

I played with the ooma a bit more today. I noticed that not all 734-854-xxx number give me busy signal. Still don’t have a clue why I can’t call some numbers and others in same area code works.

I also found out that the number I always call for my international calls - it's a local access number for my international phone card does not go through either. I don’t get it - the deal was unlimited U.S. calls with OOMA - but the more I am testing the system the less I really believe that. It's only been 6 hours with the system for me - but I’m 6 hours closer to returning this back and not wasting my time. I've never had these types of frustrations with Vonage. Yes, I do pay the monthly bill, but at least when something goes wrong I have a customer service that stands behind their product.

So here is a test to other OOMA customers there are out there, I hope you are out there and I am not the only suckered one thinking this is really worth my time. Prove me wrong, prove me that my ooma device is on drugs and call this access number and tell me if you actually get connected or get a busy signal 1 + (973) 474-2141 (FYI this is a valid number, I use my Vonage all the time as well as my cell phones to access it occasionally).

Thank you all for listening and all responses I hope to get, not just from ooma customers but also from ooma customer service, as I have left them both vm as well as emailed them about my issues.

Leszek

dvsrikanth

Post by dvsrikanth » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:35 pm

I am in 203 area code and I also cannot make calls to 732 area code numbers. I am getting nervous with my Ooma purchase....

lszyjka

Post by lszyjka » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:48 pm

Let's just hope Ooma guys are reading these posts and can shed some light on these calling issues.

My other post shows some basic troublshooting steps I took trying to figure out what might be the root cause of the issue, but without Ooma help I can't do anything. My current workaround was to add a secondary phone line in different area code (premier service) which then allowed me to finally call my mother in my local calling area. How about that for the workaround - silly/are you kidding me - but it worked on my number - why, well hopefully ooma can answer that soon.

http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... &sk=t&sd=a

lszyjka

Post by lszyjka » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:19 am

Update 12/29/08
Called support this morning – got through the vm twice and 3rd time after 15 min on hold finally got a support person. Thankfully I had a headset so it didn’t bother me waiting on phone while I was doing something else.
Anyway, the issue with me not being able to dial out 1+(734)-854-xxxx specific number seems to be something Ooma support is aware of but from the sounding of it, it seems to be case by case basis. The guy I talked to was very understanding to what I was telling me and when I asked him why the call goes through when I dial it using my secondary line I created that’s in the different area code – this case (419) xxx – xxxx number I requested, he responded that (734) and (419) area codes use different providers/carriers so obviously (734) provider is having issues.
He had asked if I had more numbers I could not get through – that was nice he enquired more about the problem.
Anyways, he took the problem number and was going to report it to engineers to get this resolved. Told me that they will email me when the issue is resolved. We will see how long that will take.
If you’re having similar type of issue please contact support or email them and hopefully you will be able to access your numbers as I am hoping soon.

lszyjka

Post by lszyjka » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:02 pm

they have resolved my issue where i was getting fast busy signal dialing out local number same day. I got home from work and by 6pm i was able to call my mom on ooma main line. very happy.