Pulsating buzz for incoming calls w/Telo+integrated landline

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
ramBRO
Re: Pulsating buzz for incoming calls w/Telo+integrated landline

Post by ramBRO » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:27 pm

Exact same problem as everybody else.

After being unable to avoid "the talker" ads, I recently purchased the Ooma Telo phone system. Last week I had an opportunity to install and activate the system. I have DSL and have maintained my landland while in the process of porting my number from AT&T. A couple of days after installation/activation, I observed a pulsating "buzzing" sound occuring during incoming calls. This sound does not exist on outgoing calls.

I contacted Ooma customer support today and went through a variety of troubleshooting. One agent set-up a new virtual phone # for me seperate from the landline and made a call to it to test it. Although the buzzing sound was greatly diminished, it was not completely eliminated.

The second agent I spoke with suggested that I reconfigure the QoS parameters for my Upstream Internet Speed (from 384 to 0) and re-boot. Another test call was made (to the new virtual #) and...Voila!...the buzzing was gone. We repeated the test on the original landline # and were met with the same positive results.

Case closed, right?

Well, not exactly. After hanging up with customer support (of course), I attempted more incoming phone calls and was extremely disappointed to observe that the buzzing sound was back. When I returned to the Ooma set-up page to check on the QoS figures, I observed that the Upstream Internet Speed # had defaulted back to 384. Repeated attempts to reconfigure and re-boot have failed to re-produce those initial positive results. I get the buzzing on the incoming calls and the Upstream Internet Speed has defaulted back to 384.

I'm frustrated on two levels:

1) According to most of the posts I've read on this subject, the problem is supposed to involve the integration of the landline. In theory, when my phone # ports over to Ooma, it should go away. Yet, the problem was still in existence (albeit greatly diminished) with the new virtual Ooma #; and,

2) I'm unable to "save" the updated Upstream Internet Speed #'s I was directed to input.

I checked the Ooma forums and observed this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3959 where other users appear to have the exact same problem as me.

Anyone have any thoughts on my problems? Or better yet, any solutions? When I call Ooma's customer support, I don't feel as though I'm getting the same type of experience from CSR to CSR. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:22 pm

ramBRO,

When you separated your landline and went to an Ooma number, did you disconnect the phone cord plugged into the Telo's wall port? If not, do so and see if that helps.

When you make changes to your QoS settings in setup, make sure you click the "Update" button so the new setting is saved.

ramBRO

Post by ramBRO » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:58 pm

Groundhound wrote:ramBRO,

When you separated your landline and went to an Ooma number, did you disconnect the phone cord plugged into the Telo's wall port? If not, do so and see if that helps.
No, I didn't do that. I'll try to remember that the next time I call CS and try to troubleshoot taht angle.
When you make changes to your QoS settings in setup, make sure you click the "Update" button so the new setting is saved.
Yeah, I've made sure to do that, but it defaults back to the original setting every time.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:55 am

ramBRO wrote:
Groundhound wrote:ramBRO,

No, I didn't do that. I'll try to remember that the next time I call CS and try to troubleshoot taht angle.
What Groundhound is suggesting is something you can do yourself and will most likely take care of the problem. Just unhook the cable and have someone make the test calls. If you are not running an integrated landline configuration you don't want anything plugged into the Telo wall port. Waiting until you call CS to unplug the cable seems a little silly when you can probably fix it yourself!
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

dunkitnow

Post by dunkitnow » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:54 am

Hi,

I'm having the same problem where incoming calls would sound bad with beeping and buzzing noises. Dialing out is ok, no problem with noise. I haven't ported the number yet so I do have a line going to the "WALL". So is the problem resolved after the porting the number or is this actually a hardware problem?
Thanks for any help you can give.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:45 am

dunkitnow wrote:Hi,

I'm having the same problem where incoming calls would sound bad with beeping and buzzing noises. Dialing out is ok, no problem with noise. I haven't ported the number yet so I do have a line going to the "WALL". So is the problem resolved after the porting the number or is this actually a hardware problem?
Thanks for any help you can give.
If you are planning to discontinue your landline service and port your number to Ooma, my advice would be to separate your landline from Ooma (remove landline integration) and get a temporary Ooma number until your port goes through. Once your port completes your temporary number is replaced by your ported number. If you want to receive calls on your Ooma phone while waiting for the port to complete, you can have your landline number forwarded to your temporary Ooma number (you would set call-forward in your landline account). Removing landline integration is something Ooma's customer service would need to do for you if you decide to do so, after which you can disconnect the cord going to Ooma's wall port.

abhking

Post by abhking » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:14 pm

This email thread seems to be exactly whtat I am experiencing. I get a pulsating buzz noice on both outgoing and incoming landline calls. I emailed Dennis and I am waiting for a response. hope I can get my Telo set replaced soon.