Cable ISP versus DSL when using ooma

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
ooma_thurman
Cable ISP versus DSL when using ooma

Post by ooma_thurman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:22 am

I currently am using DSL. I am in the process of getting cable Internet. Does anybody happen to know if my phone call quality will improve? I mean, is there a technical reason why it would or would not matter?

I get the echos at times, and there seems to be a 1 to 2 second delay before the person on the other end of the line hears me. It's beginning to get annoying. Does anybody else have this problem?

Thanks,

ooma_thurman

wase4711

Re: Cable ISP versus DSL when using ooma

Post by wase4711 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:30 am

i have ATT Uverse, which is a DSL based service, and the call quality is fine.
what speed is your current service,and what are you getting with Cable?

Also, you might try a different phone and see if that helps.

ooma_thurman

Post by ooma_thurman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:24 am

wase4711 wrote:i have ATT Uverse, which is a DSL based service, and the call quality is fine.
what speed is your current service,and what are you getting with Cable?

Also, you might try a different phone and see if that helps.

I have AT&T's 2nd fastest DSL offering, although I don't know the speed. My cable Internet will be twice as fast.

I never thought about trying a different phone. Thanks for the tip.

ooma_thurman

wase4711

Post by wase4711 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:38 am

as long as you have at least 384k upload speed, you should be fine..

for sure your cable speed will work; here again, try a different phone and see if that helps.

good luck

Soundjudgment

Post by Soundjudgment » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:12 am

"" I currently am using DSL. I am in the process of getting cable Internet. ""

Unless you have true fiber connectivity to your house (FiOS / Fiber Uverse) RUN... don't walk to Cable service for Internet and don't look back. Most Cable ISPs are providing speeds of 15 - 20 Mbps Download and 2 Mbps Upload on a regular service account. Your ooma box will be in seventh-heaven with rates like that!

Oh, and when the Cable customer-service eggs you into buying their own 'Digital Voice' phone service as part of the contract? Simply tell them, "Ummm, no, thanks. I have my phone needs... covered." ;)
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Premier, Lifetime Member
<< The following line intentionally left blank >>

wase4711

Post by wase4711 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:17 am

Well, I get 18meg downloads with Uverse, which is DSL, and was only getting 15 megs with comcrap cable, so not sure what you mean about "running to cable"..
Uploads at Uverse could be better,(1.5 meg), but, its still more than enuf for ooma to work perfectly..

Soundjudgment

Post by Soundjudgment » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:38 am

We are speaking of running away from the older copper-wire based DSL phone service, which I believe the OP was/is saddled with...which is why they are considering upgrading to a Cable ISP.

That is not the AT&T branded U-verse system which is different than traditional DSL. It uses 'fiber optic-to-resident' connectivity (NOT copper wiring - which is why one needs to check with AT&T to see if they have fiber running in their neighborhood), and has similar bandwidth and speed to Cable coax and Verizon FiOS (the latter which is also fiber-line based).
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Premier, Lifetime Member
<< The following line intentionally left blank >>