Noise immediately after answering a call

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
mellomanpr
Noise immediately after answering a call

Post by mellomanpr » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:25 pm

I've been having this problem that just started about 2-3 days ago. There's a loud cranking/mechanical ringing type sound whenever I answer the phone. The person calling me can here the noise as well. I don't know what this is, never had the problem before. I've been using Ooma for about 3 weeks now. My box is after my Actiontec router # MI424WR. I have FIOS with 15 Mbs/2 Mbs Download/Upload. I'm also using a Uniden 2.4 Ghz cordless phone with 2 additional cordless handsets. Has anyone else had this noise problem lately? What can I do to stop it?

Update: Now, I'm having problems during the call as well. While on the phone earlier all sound went dead for about 2 seconds which would happen about every 30 seconds or so. I couldn't hear the other party and they couldn't hear me either. What can be done about this? BTW, I'm still using my landline from Verizon and my number is not ported...yet. I may have to return my Ooma if I can't get these problems resolved. Don't really want to do that though.

wase4711

Re: Noise immediately after answering a call

Post by wase4711 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:48 am

try a different phone...2.4ghz phones are like dinosaurs....

mellomanpr

Post by mellomanpr » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:32 am

Never had a problem with the phone until now. Really don't see how that could be the problem.

scots

Post by scots » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:18 pm

mellomanpr wrote:Never had a problem with the phone until now. Really don't see how that could be the problem.
The phone could be going bad or received some sort of "jolt" if it's not plugged into a surge suppressor. I've never really had great luck with Uniden phones, and neither has my mom. My mom has been through two Uniden cordless phone systems. The first one started off working fine, and then after a while it started having various problems out of the blue for no apparent reason. She replaced it with another Uniden cordless phone system, and the same thing happened with that one. If you have any kind of spare phone around somewhere, you might want to try the spare just to make sure it's not your Uniden. I really don't have a very high opinion of Uniden cordless phones.

wase4711

Post by wase4711 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:26 pm

AND, if you have a wireless router anywhere in the house, they do NOT play nice with 2.4ghz phones..Uniden phones were really junk until the last couple of years, so it could easily be a problem with the phone.
Try a different one and see if its better..

Soundjudgment

Post by Soundjudgment » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:54 am

mellomanpr wrote:I've been having this problem that just started about 2-3 days ago. There's a loud cranking/mechanical ringing type sound whenever I answer the phone.I'm still using my landline from Verizon and my number is not ported...yet.
I am going out on a limb here (don't I always? ;) ) And suggest that this has everything to do with your current RJ11 wiring-setup to your old phone line. A bad ground (or cross-wired RED/GREEN leads) is all it would take to let those loud noises come through. The way to check is to completely divorce your connectivity to the old in-home phone wiring and make a completely INTERNET oriented VoIP Ooma-connected call. But I don't KNOW of you can do this without having a new ooma-generated phone number already ported or working.

You can try it by simply hooking everything up as before WITHOUT any of the ooma-hub connectivity to the old phone service. If the Blue LED comes on the ooma-hub box, you should at least be able to originate a call and find out if the sound is clean again.

Bottom line is, the sooner you can 'break away' from the old, now-problematic landline service, the sooner everything will be ooooooma-good!
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Premier, Lifetime Member
<< The following line intentionally left blank >>

mellomanpr

Post by mellomanpr » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:27 pm

Well, I went the other route. I disconnected the Ooma and went only with my landline hooked up. Once I did that, the problem stopped completely. I tried it with a cordless and corded phone and I couldn't repeat the problem. I hooked the Ooma box back up to my phone and the problem returned. And the problem was still there with a corded phone as well. So I can rule out the wiring in my house as well as my Uniden phone. I've called tech support and they showed me how to reset my Ooma Hub. Well, I've reset it and I still have the problem. I've even changed my QoS settings to an upstream of 1829 Kbps. That hasn't helped either. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Soundjudgment

Post by Soundjudgment » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:05 pm

If that is the case, then *most likely* you will need to replace the ooma Hub box with another one. There is a TEL / WALL connector, grounding or wiring issue with that hub.
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Premier, Lifetime Member
<< The following line intentionally left blank >>

mellomanpr

Post by mellomanpr » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:54 pm

I've decided to port my number and drop the landline altogether. Hopefully that will resolve the issue.