Choppy Calls and Echo

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
cdelk
Choppy Calls and Echo

Post by cdelk » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:18 am

I am having problems with voice quality. Here are the problems:
- The other party cannot hear me (choppy), but I hear them
- Sometimes I hear myself - an echo in the background, but the other party does not echo.

I have searched your documents and forums, but I have not seen a clear solution. Here is my setup:

Cable Modem --> Ooma --> Router --> Computers

Not on a phone call, bandwidth is:
- 30482 Down
- 1577 Up

If I set the QoS upload to 384 in Ooma, my bandwidth is drastically reduced during a call:
- 6381 Down
- 43 Up

If I set QoS upload to 0 in Ooma, bandwidth is reasonable, but call quality sometimes is fine and other times it is choppy (for the other party).

ISP: Cox
Cable Modem: Motorola
Router: TrendNet TEW-432BRP

Up until a week ago, Ooma was behind my router and worked fine. During the past week, call quality has been random.

Do you have any settings or setup that I should try? Or, updates to the Ooma device? The QoS does not appear to thottle the bandwidth correctly.

Thanks,

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Re: Choppy Calls and Echo

Post by Bobby B » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:57 am

Hi cdelk, what happens if you set your upstream QoS to be 1500 (E.g. your true upstream bandwidth)?
Bobby B

cdelk

Post by cdelk » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:40 pm

Bobby, thanks for the quick reply. That is much better and the speed test during call looks good:

25000 Down
1000 Up

I am not understanding QoS and the setting, but if that works, I will leave it.

It took a few minutes during the call, but I did hear a slight echo of my voice (not heard by the other party). However, it may be limited to calling that person, for I do not notice it calling other people.

Thanks,

number9

Post by number9 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:58 pm

Bobby B wrote:Hi cdelk, what happens if you set your upstream QoS to be 1500 (E.g. your true upstream bandwidth)?
How is the QoS set? Is this only done through a modem or router? Is this done in the lounge? I have AT&T U-Verse. The modem and router are one and the same in a single box they call an RG *residential gateway*.
I have no wi fi set up. RG - Ooma - computer.
I'm not very technical, so please be gentle.

Thanks.
Plays PRS guitars

AngelaKendig

Post by AngelaKendig » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:29 pm

How is the QoS set? Is this only done through a modem or router? Is this done in the lounge? I have AT&T U-Verse. The modem and router are one and the same in a single box they call an RG *residential gateway*.
I have no wi fi set up. RG - Ooma - computer.
I'm not very technical, so please be gentle.

Thanks.
Connect a laptop or desktop via LAN cable to the HOME port on the Ooma hub. Power on the PC and it will grab an IP address from the hub. In a browser go to setup.ooma.com. There you will see the configuration. From what I've read here the acuracy of the QOS settings performing as you set them seems iffy. You'll have to do an online speed test with phone in use and without to see what works best.
The nice thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise.Image

AngelaKendig

Post by AngelaKendig » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:32 pm

number9- One other thing. Your speed tests will mean nothing unless the call you test with is actually using Ooma as opposed to any land line that may be connected.
The nice thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise.Image

number9

Post by number9 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:27 am

THANK YOU, AngelaKendig. I'll give this a try.
Plays PRS guitars

cdelk

Post by cdelk » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:56 am

Bobby,

The QoS at 1500 works great for one line, but I do notice if both lines are in use (Ooma Premier) that my converseration is choppy for the other user. Are there any other settings I can try?

I am running the fastest cable service offered in my area.

Thanks,