bandwidth issues

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
johnboy
bandwidth issues

Post by johnboy » Sat May 31, 2008 5:23 am

I have a cable modem which generally provides me with 8mbps down and 1.5 mpbs up. I had some issues with OOMA call quality when placed BEHIND the router and have placed it in front of the router. (i.e. cable modem - OOMA - ROUTER). My bandwidth is fairly consistent and I have adjusted the QOS to 100k below my average ups and down speeds and saved the settings.

I still have a persistent and duplicatable problem. When uploading files from a wireless computer off the router to a remote computer on the internet (again BEHIND OOMA), my outgoing OOMA voice quality disintegrates.

My upstream QOS speed is set to 1340 and down is set to 8250.

I can reduce (on demand) the upload speeds with the program I use and when I do, my outgoing voice quality comes back instantly

I am puzzled about why the wireless computer making upstream demans on the router would affect OOMA if OOMA is 'in front' of the router?

Any ideas?

John

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Re: bandwidth issues

Post by Bobby B » Sat May 31, 2008 4:05 pm

Hi John,

I did some testing of the ooma QoS feature a couple months back, focusing my testing on the upstream direction. I saturated the traffic in the upstream direction with bittorrent and streaming media and found QoS to almost completely restore the voice quality under these highly congested network conditions.

Do you know what kind of traffic is being used for the uploads? Also, I think I'd advise putting in a call to support (preferably on a weekday) so we can troubleshoot the root cause further. I think we would try running some test calls with you and look at a few key stats, including delay, connections and packet loss.

Thanks,
Bobby
Bobby B

johnboy

Post by johnboy » Sat May 31, 2008 7:16 pm

Thanks for the reply Bobby...

I am using Shareaza. When my upload speed exceeds about 15kbps, the problem with my outgoing voice begins.

If that helps diagnose it, let me know. Who do I ask for in Tech support to trouble shoot this. Generally the folks who do answer, are knowledgeable, but are not the 'numbers' guys.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:58 am

Anyone on the support team should be able to help out. They can bring in other resources to further troubleshoot and analyze the data.
Bobby B

johnboy

Post by johnboy » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:44 pm

thanks bobby... I think it best to wait until Monday when more support people are working with you and I will find a time to 'play' so I can help you help me tweak this. I will provide a report once I do this. thanks.