One way conversation twice today

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Kevin1844
One way conversation twice today

Post by Kevin1844 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:36 pm

I've had my hub since August and never had a problem. Twice today I received calls from two different people where I could hear the other person but they could not here me at all.
On top of that, I got a call today and the voicemail message was never emailed to me like it usually is. It wasn't even blinking on the hub even though it showed up in my.ooma.

I've reset the hub in between the two problem calls but apparently it's still happening. Any ideas?

hpepper

Re: One way conversation twice today

Post by hpepper » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:48 pm

I know they were having problems with voicemail in the past day and they disabled VM notification until tomorrow, so maybe their current problems have something to do with your one way conversations? Have you called Ooma CS?

Kevin1844

Post by Kevin1844 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:59 pm

not yet. Thats the next stop.

DTMF

Post by DTMF » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:32 pm

Could the problem be that your Internet connection's upload bandwidth is busy with other tasks? (P2P file sharing being a large passive use.) Most home broadband connections have about 1/10 as much bandwidth available for uploading as for downloading, so it wouldn't take much other activity to soak up the bandwidth your Ooma needs to send out voice traffic.
Last edited by DTMF on Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.

dntower85

Post by dntower85 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:52 am

I just activated my ooma last night and I am also getting only one way conversations. I called my cell phone several times, One time I this morning I could be heard on the other end and it was very clear. On the next call I could not hear nothing could be heard on the other end. :x
I was reading about the QoS and wondering if I could set the upload speed lower what would be advised speed to set it at. :!:

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:51 am

dntower85 wrote:I just activated my ooma last night and I am also getting only one way conversations. I called my cell phone several times, One time I this morning I could be heard on the other end and it was very clear. On the next call I could not hear nothing could be heard on the other end. :x
I was reading about the QoS and wondering if I could set the upload speed lower what would be advised speed to set it at. :!:
Need more info:
How do you have your Ooma connected relative to your modem and router?
What kind of Ooma do you have (Hub or Telo).
What is the sustained speed tier you are subscribed to with your ISP?
Who is your ISP?
Run the test at http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html and post the results from the Advanced tab.

dntower85

Post by dntower85 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:05 am

Groundhound wrote:
dntower85 wrote:I just activated my ooma last night and I am also getting only one way conversations. I called my cell phone several times, One time I this morning I could be heard on the other end and it was very clear. On the next call I could not hear nothing could be heard on the other end. :x
Need more info:
How do you have your Ooma connected relative to your modem and router?
What kind of Ooma do you have (Hub or Telo).
What is the sustained speed tier you are subscribed to with your ISP?
Who is your ISP?
Run the test at http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html and post the results from the Advanced tab.
Back ground info We just moved to a new small town, and only had a choice of cable modem or phone with DSL, I rarely use a home phone. So I chose Cable Modem with a 10 down and 5 up transfer speed provided through Charter cable. so far I have been impressed with the download speed, but I have not uploaded anything yet or tested the connection. I wont be home till late tonight so I will test it then. From what I have read this should be fast enough to run ooma although surfing the inter net and talking at the same time will most likely be out of the question, but that is ok, I don't use the home phone that much.
I have a netgear cable-modem/wireless router combo. So I have ooma connected to the router and my main computer connected to the Telo. I have tried both with all computers turned off and even shut off the wireless on the router to see if that was taking up band width no luck except for the one time when it did work flawlessly.

Soundjudgment

Post by Soundjudgment » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:49 pm

"" I have a netgear cable-modem/wireless router combo. So I have ooma connected to the router and my main computer connected to the Telo. ""

Try connecting BOTH the computer and the Telo to the Router (which should be connected to the Cable Modem) and see how that goes. Assuming that you have four Ethernet Ports on the back of the Router this should be fine.
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Premier, Lifetime Member
<< The following line intentionally left blank >>

dntower85

Post by dntower85 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:44 pm

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 4.0 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 8608536 bps
Upload speed: 1075752 bps
Download quality of service: 94 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 58 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 48 ms
Average round trip time to server: 54 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 28000000bps
Route concurrency: 3.2525856
Download TCP forced idle: 66 %
Maximum route speed: 10922496bps

ran test and it says it is ok, but talked to my wife for about 30 seconds and then she could not hear me. after about 45 seconds the call dropped. Called back and She could not hear me.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:01 pm

Those stats look OK, what kind of phone are you using - is it by chance a 2.4 (or 5.8) Ghz cordless? Either of those types could be interfering with your wireless router.