Hub to Router works better. Why?

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
oomasan
Hub to Router works better. Why?

Post by oomasan » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:54 am

Hello all,

I am new to ooma.
My original setup was the recommended one: Modem>ooma Hub>Router. It simply throttled my web experience to almost dialup levels.
I changed setup to: Modem>Router>ooma Hub. Now everything is well :)
What would cause this?
My ISP is Comcast Cable and the router is a Belkin Pre-N wireless model.

Thanks!

frenchcamp49er

Re: Hub to Router works better. Why?

Post by frenchcamp49er » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:35 pm

I have mine set up this way, did not try the recommended route, but I also have no problems.
Customer Since: January 2009
Ooma Hardware: Ooma Hub/Scout; Telo 04/02/10
Ooma Service: Premier Lifetime (Since December 2009)

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:15 am

In most cases Hub behind the modem works OK. It's just if you're running bandwidth-intensive Internet traffic (such as bittorrent, or uploading video) the Hub won't be able to prioritize voice conversations over other data.

Were you seeing decreased upload or download (or both) speeds? Did you only observe these decreases when you were on a call? Did you try adjusting your QoS?

oomasan wrote:Hello all,

I am new to ooma.
My original setup was the recommended one: Modem>ooma Hub>Router. It simply throttled my web experience to almost dialup levels.
I changed setup to: Modem>Router>ooma Hub. Now everything is well :)
What would cause this?
My ISP is Comcast Cable and the router is a Belkin Pre-N wireless model.

Thanks!
Bobby B

ooma user

Post by ooma user » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:19 pm

Hello,
I just got my ooma set up and running today. However, I don't like the idea that ooma hub sits between my modem and router. When you connect ooma hub right into the router, do you have to do any special configuration on the ooma hub itself or the router? Or is it just plug ooma hub into router and that's it? I appreciate any help.

koehn

Post by koehn » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:25 am

I too have noticed a degradation in performance (suddenly speedtest.net reports about 1/4 my usual throughput when I go through the OOMA hub, with Comcast as my ISP).

One other thing I've been wondering about: my wireless hub (Apple Time Capsule) supports the NAT Port Mapping Protocol (not uPNP). I'm guessing if I set up my route as Cable Modem -> Ooma -> Time Capsule, then I need to set up my Time Capsule as the Ooma's DMZ in order for PMP to work correctly. Does Ooma currently support PMP, or will it in the future?

Given the alternatives, I'm considering switching the network to Cable Modem -> Time Capsule -> Ooma, at least to see how the performance shakes out.

inrame

Post by inrame » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:38 am

ooma user wrote:Hello,
I just got my ooma set up and running today. However, I don't like the idea that ooma hub sits between my modem and router. When you connect ooma hub right into the router, do you have to do any special configuration on the ooma hub itself or the router? Or is it just plug ooma hub into router and that's it? I appreciate any help.
typically you can just plug it in, but there are a lot of variations in providers, speeds and systems that may require tweaking for optimal results. i would just start by plugging it in and see what happens. one of the most frequently 'tweaked' items is the QoS on the Ooma hub which will throttle traffic when you are on a call (lots of posts here regarding that). This is important in maintaining priority of voice traffic over data traffic -- but this is really only necessary if it is before the router.

i have had it sitting on both sides of my router, but if you put after the router, and you experience voice quality issues you will need to throttle traffic via your router. you'll have to play with the router setup to ensure you give priority to traffic coming from Ooma over data traffic.

skellener

Post by skellener » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:53 pm

I have MODEM>OOMA>TIMECAPSULE.

No issues with throttling or speed. Works just as good as it always has.

zeke

Post by zeke » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:12 am

I'm seeing reduction in network performance as mentioned above. With the standard modem>ooma>router setup, I am seeing a reduction in download speed from 3Mb/s to ~2Mb/s, and a reduction in upload speed from 1Mb/s to ~200Kb/s during a phone conversation. I measured this w/ the speed test at speakeasy.net, using several of their servers w/ similar results. My understanding is that a voip conversation should typically only take a few 10's of Kb/s bandwidth, assuming only one party is talking at once and so on, so the impact I'm seeing seems enormous for the amount of bandwidth needed.

trim81

Post by trim81 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:14 am

Bandwith should only throttle when you are on a call..

Anyhow, open up the ooma web browser and adjust your QOS settings accordingly.

That should help you out.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:51 am

I use the modem->wireless router->ooma setup and it works great. My Linksys has a QOS setting that I left on AUTO and a port priority setting. I gave ooma priority over the other 3 ports.
5.1 mbits down and 640 kbit upload and I never have a quaity issue with ooma or slow internet speed.

Wayne