Choppy Sound for Half my Calls

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Greg4ooma
Re: Choppy Sound for Half my Calls

Post by Greg4ooma » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:21 pm

Same here. For the past week, CHOPPY calls.....only on INCOMING calls, and it's not on every call.

This just started. Call quality has been good for 3 months, until now. On the choppy incoming calls, I can tell them
I can't hear them good, hang up, call them back, and its ok.

Nothing about the internet speed, QOS or anything else has changed.

Must be something in OOMA's servers, because it just surfaced.

approbat wrote:HELP! After five months of flawless Ooma calls, I have had problems the last two months.

Half of my phone calls sound CHOPPY and ROBOTIC to people on the other end of the call. They sound crystal clear to me, but I sound like a Robot in a tunnel.

I have Comcast HI Speed Internet 12 MB Downstream/4MB upstream. My Ooma Hub is between the router and modem.

I have tried MANY QOS settings as suggested on these forums. Currently, it's set to Downstream: 0, Upstream: 300.

It's sad because once people hear the bad phone calls and I tell them "It's Ooma", then they are likely turned off to ever trying the service.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to fix this? :|

Thank you.

jafriede

Post by jafriede » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:51 pm

Greg4ooma wrote:Same here. For the past week, CHOPPY calls.....only on INCOMING calls, and it's not on every call.

This just started. Call quality has been good for 3 months, until now. On the choppy incoming calls, I can tell them
I can't hear them good, hang up, call them back, and its ok.

Nothing about the internet speed, QOS or anything else has changed.

Must be something in OOMA's servers, because it just surfaced.
I thought I replied to this post last night but I don't see my reply. Anyway... I too have been having this problem for the last couple weeks. Contacting Ooma support just got me a canned answer chastising me for not having the Telo ahead of my wireless router. I use Tomato firmware and have the Qos tweaked pretty well. I have been running with no problems since I installed the Ooma Telo last November. I did also send a request to my DSL provider and got this response back:

Thank you for contacting CenturyLink.

I have located an error in the routing of your service which appears to be causing your slow speed issues. At this time our engineers are monitoring the routing in that area but do not have a timetable for when relief will be available. I apologize for the inconvenience.

I will have to wait and see if the situation improves once they figure their problem out. The moral of the story is don't assume you will get no help from your ISP. You just need to arm your support request with data such as jitter, etc. Then they tend to take you more seriously. There is too much competition out there now to just blow you off.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:11 pm

See what happens after you receive new Ooma Telo Firmware Update 52474.

jafriede

Post by jafriede » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:48 pm

thunderbird wrote:See what happens after you receive new Ooma Telo Firmware Update 52474.
Do you know when it will be released and what it addresses?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:32 am

jafriede wrote:
thunderbird wrote:See what happens after you receive new Ooma Telo Firmware Update 52474.
Do you know when it will be released and what it addresses?
Click on viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13193 for the information you requested.

Greg4ooma

Post by Greg4ooma » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:12 pm

Noticed the TELO just rebooted, and the new firmware just downloaded.

Will see if the "choppy" incoming calls still persists. like I said, its not on ALL incoming calls, just random ones.

vtkevin

Post by vtkevin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:22 am

Just for my two cents.....During the last week or so I have had the identical problem on OOMA after many months of virtually flawless service (except when calling into one particular federally protected small rural landline provider). On INCOMING calls only, randomly but more often than not call is unusable (choppy, echo, delay, robotic, drops - you get the idea). If I call right back call is fine. Yes, I have Comcast in Vermont (no other choice) and this just started happening. Also, there is no other network activity at the time this happens.

I guess I will have to wait for new firmware and see what happens.

Vtkevin....

ToddG27

Post by ToddG27 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:53 am

We bought our Ooma in October of 2011 and used it for 2 months in parallel with our old "land line". During that time the Ooma worked perfectly and never had any problems. As a result, we cancelled our "land line" and now use only the Ooma.

In the last two weeks we have been experiencing horrible call quality problems. Some calls work ok. The problem calls the voice is distorted and garbled on my end and I am lucky to understand enough of the call to understand anything that is being said to me. Initially we would say we could not understand what was being said and then hang up and they would call back. Sometimes the caller would call back and the connection would be good after 1 attempt - sometimes it took more.

After a number of these happening we have determined that the other end can understand everything we are saying - only my end is garbled.

I am hoping to get some help to resolve this problem. Bottom line is it used to work and now works sometimes so it seems like something has changed. The other clue is that it seems only the downstream is getting trashed.

Information is included below about my Ooma setup . Here is some common information that people seem to ask for:

network configuration: modem => router (UVerse) => switch => Ooma Telo
Ooma QOS settings: Upstream internet speed 384, Downstream internet speed 0
The MAC address is set to "use built in" (common suggestion to fix problems, configured on installation)

speedtest.net: 5.42Mbps download, .93Mbps upload 26ms ping

whichvoip.com test:

Summary:
Your download capacity of 5.58 Mbps is acceptable.
Your upload capacity of 939 kbps Is acceptable,
Your Quality of Service was measured at 92%. which shows that your connection can produce a constant stream of data.
Your download speed of 5.45 Mbps Is high enough to support a high quality voice-over-IP conversation.
Your upload speed of 952 kbps is high enough to support a high quality voice-over-lP conversation.
Your Consistency of Service was measured at 95%, which shows that your connection can produce a constant stream of data. This is key to providing a high quality voice-over-IP connection.
We were unable to measure your connections video jitter, which would describe how effectively it copes with a stream of video data.

Advanced Statistics:
Capacity test statistics
Download capacity 5587832 bps
Download packets per second 698
Upload capacity 939376 bps
Upload packets per second 117
Quality of service 92%
Packet size 1000 Bytes
Speed test statistics
Download speed 5458360 bps
Upload speed 952040 bps
Download consistency of service 95 %
Upload consistency of service 51 %
Maximum TCP delay 65 ms
Average download pause 5 ms
Minimum round trip time to server 82 ms
Average round trip time to server 82 ms
Estimated download bandwidth 6000000bps
Route concurrency 1.0992312
Download TCP forced idle 0 %
Maximum route speed 6393656bps
IPTV test statistics
Video Jitter -- ms
Video Loss 979%
Video Packet Order 0.0%

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:03 am

ToddG27:
Check to see if you have new Ooma Telo Firmware Update 52474.

Dial *#*#001 (Speak the version of software) using one of your phones connected to your Ooma Telo, to hear the current version of software installed on your Ooma Telo. Audio comes out of the Ooma Telo's speaker.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13193#p91846
Last edited by thunderbird on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

ToddG27

Post by ToddG27 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:09 am

version 50832 (from my laptop hooked up to the home port of ooma tello and web interface)