Calls dropped when getting on the internet

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
amoney
Re: Calls dropped when getting on the internet

Post by amoney » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:43 pm

Just to recap...
kusche25 wrote:My wife tells me everytime she is on the phone and my daughter gets on the internet she gets dropped off her phone call. I just upgraded our speed with Time Warner last night and made changes to my Qos page. I have the Ooma between my router and modem. Am I missing something here?
kusche25 wrote:I have had the same phones for the last 3-4 years and have never had problems before with my wifi. I did make changes last night in my setup after having my cable upgraded from RR lite to RR basic. My download and upload speeds have increased by 3 times. Any correlation?
kusche25 wrote:Maybe I just answered my own question. Since I upgraded...now I am having the dropped calls which would correlate to the interference with the wireless phones you are talking about. Maybe I'll go buy the Dect phones and see how that works. thanks

First, did you mention in your other posts that the offending computer that bumps the handsets off is or is not wireless connected?

Now this is where I start spit balling troubleshooting questions...

When you place the Ooma (sorry did not catch if it was HUB or Telo -does not really matter I suppose) after the router what happens?

Did you say the problem happened after the speed upgrade?

Second quote above, you mentioned some changes made, what specific changes did you make in your setup?

Remove the router all together and connect the computer to the Ooma (modem>ooma>computer), and see what happens when you surf and talk at the same time.

You can do a factory default reset to your router and reinstall and see if any accedental changes may be responsible for the disconnects.

Lastly I have seen other posts similar in behavior where the issue was ultimately found to be a defective modem or router. No other symptons were seen. Ive said it previously I am amazed with the failure rates of hardware just by simply connecting a Ooma device as reported on this forum. Try and see.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

kusche25

Post by kusche25 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:12 am

Well, I spoke to a tech support from Ooma yesterday and he helpled me adjust my settings. Currently I have my setup as Modem, Router, Ooma. The tech support guy actually suggested this....anyway since he helped me adjust my settings based on my internet speed, things have been doing much better. Based on their written instructions I wasn't anywhere near what he had me set them to. I am praying all stays well.

But to answer a question, yes most of the problems occurred when using a laptop wirelessly and being on the phone. I did have Roadrunner lite but I upgraded to Roadrunner basic to help with speed. I upgraded the firmware on my router and bought new Dect 6.0 phones.

Thanks to everyones suggestions and answers.

kusche25

Post by kusche25 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:31 pm

Guess I spoke too soon, four dropped calls today. I just finished with three and I called tech support again. After about 40 minutes we reset the power to all three devices (modem, router, ooma). Double checked qos settings, left those alone and hung up. They opened a ticket and were going to check into it further. Afterwards I made a couple of test calls and on the second one I got dropped. I looked at my modem and all the lights were out. Now I am wondering if my modem is going bad. Motorola SB4200.

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:47 pm

Check the power connections for the modem at both ends. Wall warts, due to the weight, sometimes work their way out of the socket.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

amoney

Post by amoney » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:38 am

kusche25 wrote:Guess I spoke too soon, four dropped calls today. I just finished with three and I called tech support again. After about 40 minutes we reset the power to all three devices (modem, router, ooma). Double checked qos settings, left those alone and hung up. They opened a ticket and were going to check into it further. Afterwards I made a couple of test calls and on the second one I got dropped. I looked at my modem and all the lights were out. Now I am wondering if my modem is going bad. Motorola SB4200.
That is a hell of an old modem. I highly recommend replacing.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

kusche25

Post by kusche25 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:51 am

Just got done exchanging my modem with time warner and hooked up a newer model. The old one had phone capabilities and this one doesn't (motoroloa SB5101) so hopefully that will work. So far I made two tests and all works. Guess the real test is the rest of the day and so on.

kdmonson

Post by kdmonson » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:06 am

kusche25 wrote:Just got done exchanging my modem with time warner and hooked up a newer model. The old one had phone capabilities and this one doesn't (motoroloa SB5101) so hopefully that will work. So far I made two tests and all works. Guess the real test is the rest of the day and so on.
I am having the same problem with dropped calls almost every other phone call. I also had TW digital phone and still have the Motorola SBV4200 modem. Are you observing that your new non-VOIP modem is making a difference with your dropped calls? Also, when my calls drop, my Telo goes into the RED FLASHING mode and either magic happens and it resets or I have to unplug the power and reset it. I'm getting very frustrated.

kusche25

Post by kusche25 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:57 am

I replaced my modem on the 17th with SB5101 from Time Warner and I have not had a dropped call since. (knock on wood) I have a lynxis router that is a couple years old but I did a firmware upgrade and bought an AT&T Dect 6.0 phone and all is well so far. I experienced the same flashing red light, but I noticed my modem lights had gone out and when they came back on the blue light would eventually come back on. If I were you I would definitely change the modem. I also moved the Telo behind the router and with the help of a Ooma rep we changed my qos settings to 450 and 200. Hope that helps.